Image source: Flickr.com
There are times when your dog starts to howl at night. You might be wondering why your dog is howling. After all, there has to be some reason behind this kind of behavior. Well, you are lucky because you came to the right place. Here are five reasons why your dog might be howling:
- It is vocally communicating with its buddiesWolves communicate with one another through the most natural way of communication for them, which is howling. When wolves want to send their location or inform their pack members, they howl. As dogs and wolves share common ancestors, your canine inherited it from them.
- It is making its presence and territory knownAs wolves are territorial animals, they warn other wolves and living beings about their territory and presence through howling. Since canines came from wolves, even they are territorial and will go to any extent to defend their territory. When your dog sees an unfamiliar canine entering its territory, it will howl so that the stranger is aware of its presence. Also, if your dog has friends in the neighborhood, it will howl to inform them about what is happening in their territory.
- It is experiencing separation anxietyAs dogs are pack animals by nature, it is quite common for them to suffer from separation anxiety. When dogs feel separated from their pack members, they start howling so that their friends know their exact location. Now you know why stray dogs start howling in the middle of the night. Also when dogs are away from their owners, they will start howling because of separation anxiety. For example, if you take your dog to a new location, it will enjoy the place. However, the moment you leave it alone, it will begin to howl.
- It may be suffering from medical problemsWhen dogs feel sick or internal pain or when they are injured, they start howling. If you have come across stray dogs, you would have seen that when they get hurt, they begin to howl. Similarly, if your dog is howling without a break, check if there are any injuries. If you can’t find any marks, then you need to take your dog to the vet immediately.
- It is responding to high-pitched sounds or noisesIt’s common for your dog to start howling if the neighborhood canines are doing the same. It’s their most natural form of response when they hear howling from nearby dogs. Also, high pitch sounds can also make dogs howl. If your dog hears the siren of the fire brigade or an ambulance or some musical instruments, it will start howling.
These are the five reasons why your dog might be howling. If you have any queries, feel free to leave a comment below!