Learn whether table scraps can be given as treats to dogs. Also, learn what happens when you indulge in the habit too much.
A survey of dog owners revealed that almost half (44%) of respondents fed table leftovers to their pets. They were more likely to be ladies, owners of medium-sized dogs, and members of bigger families.
When you think about it, there are very few foods that humans and dogs can eat together. Dogs are carnivores, which means they require more proteins than people do in order to maintain good health. That’s why most veterinarians recommend against feeding dogs human food unless it’s absolutely necessary. Giving your dog table scraps may seem harmless, but there are plenty of reasons why you should avoid doing so.
Table Scraps Are Not the Best Choice
It seems harmless, but table scraps are not always the best choice to feed your pet. Dogs are carnivores, so they need more protein than a human to maintain muscle mass and keep healthy. Table scraps tend to be high in carbohydrates, which is why it's essential that you don't give your dog too many of them.
Dogs also have different nutritional needs than humans. They can't digest many of the same things we can. For example, grapes and raisins can be toxic for dogs because they contain natural compounds that could cause poisoning in large quantities. Other foods like onions or macadamia nuts may also be toxic for dogs if eaten in high enough quantities.
Toxicosis from raisins, grapes, and Zante currants is seen in dogs on rare occasions. Clinical symptoms include vomiting and/or diarrhea 6-12 hours after intake, fatigue, malnutrition, and an increase in serum creatinine. Early cleaning of swallowed contents and intravenous fluid therapy to ensure adequate urine flow is part of the treatment.
So it’s best to rely on tried and tested options like Royal Canin Dog Food, Hill Science Dog Food, or Purina Dog Food.
Some Table Scraps Can Be Toxic to Dogs
While it's true that many dogs will eat just about anything, some foods can be toxic to your dog. The first thing to consider is whether or not the food you're thinking of giving your dog is even intended for canine consumption. If the answer to this question is even a maybe, it might not be safe for your dog.
Some foods could cause issues if fed in large quantities over time. Chocolate and caffeine are two examples. Coffee grounds should never be given to dogs because they contain too much caffeine. Chocolate contains methylxanthine, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In case of major stomach-related issues, use Famotidine for Dogs.
Other foods are only safe when fed sparingly and infrequently. Examples include onions, garlic cloves, grapes, raisins, and currants. These items contain high levels of sulfoxides which can cause damage or death if ingested regularly over long periods of time. Suppose you do decide to feed these things occasionally as table scraps upon occasion, your dog will probably be fine. But don't make a habit out of it.
Dogs Can Become Reliant on Human Food
If your dog is a picky eater, it may be tempting to give him some table scraps as an incentive to eat. But if you've got a finicky eater on your hands, he could become reliant on human food and develop a finicky palate. This is a problem that can be difficult to remedy.
Dogs who are given too much human food may also become overweight if they aren't getting enough exercise or if they consume too many calories from treats. So grab yourself a retractable dog leash or a dog harness so that the both of you can burn some of those calories off.
Additionally, while certain foods are perfectly healthy for humans (think bananas or apples), they can cause allergic reactions in dogs and make them sick.
Increased Risk of Bacterial Contamination
While it’s true that giving your dog a bit of steak is unlikely to make him sick, there are risks associated with raw meat and dairy products. Raw meat can carry a variety of bacteria, which can cause food poisoning if ingested.
Symptoms of the illness include diarrhea (sometimes bloody), vomiting, abdominal cramping or pain, and dehydration. The risk of bacterial contamination is greater when we’re talking about something like beef than it would be for chicken or fish.
The risk isn't just limited to raw meat or dairy products. Any food that's not fully cooked carries some degree of risk. You might think that you're safe just because you know your pet will eat only his kibble, but this isn't always true. Sometimes even our best-behaved dogs dig into our plates when we're not looking.
It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to giving table scraps. And if you do decide to share some extra bites from your plate with Fido, make sure they're cooked all the way through first.
Obesity and Unhealthy Weight Gain
Dogs can become overweight from table scraps, which means that you’re contributing to your dog’s unhealthy weight gain. When a dog is overweight, they are more susceptible to developing health problems such as diabetes and heart disease.
It is interesting to note that the outcomes of a study indicate the possibility of a link between overweight pets and their owners. These findings might be used in future treatments to encourage healthier and more active lives for both dog owners and their pets as part of an engaging and novel obesity prevention strategy.
Additionally, if you feed your dog a diet that isn’t made up of fresh foods or high-quality kibble, they may develop finicky palates. They will then be unable to eat anything but human food because their stomachs are used to eating raw meat and dairy products.
When dogs eat the wrong foods or too much of it at once, they can get sick from pathogens like E Coli or salmonella in raw meat products.
You should not feed your dog human food, no matter how much he begs for it.
The reason for this is that dogs can become reliant on human food and develop a finicky palate. This means that they will only eat certain foods, which may lead to health problems if the dog does not receive enough nutrients from his regular diet.
Dogs also have different nutritional needs than humans, so feeding them table scraps could cause them to develop health issues like obesity or malnutrition.
Some types of table scraps can actually be toxic to your furry friend. These include onions, chocolate, grapes, and raisins due to their high levels of sugar.
If you want to feed your pet human food, make sure they are safe and healthy choices that won’t cause them any harm.