Image Credit: Pixabay.com
People who take care of dogs know very well the extent they need to go to keep their dogs healthy. However, there are times when all of us are tempted to slip that little treat for our canine companions from the table. Dogs are sensitive creatures and don’t share a human’s resilience to a wide variety of foods. So the next time you want to treat your dog with human morsels, make sure to choose foods that are safe for them.Here is a list of six foods that are safe and tasty treats for your dog.
- Peanut butter:Who doesn’t love peanut butter? There is no shortage of treats that can be made with this nutty butter. Peanut butter is a rich source of protein and also contains healthy fats, vitamin B, niacin and vitamin E. It is also a favorite of dogs.Of course, you will need to make sure to use raw, unsalted peanut butter while mixing it with your dog’s regular meal. Also, make sure not to use the sugar-free or “lite” variety. This type of peanut butter contains artificial sweeteners like xylitol that is toxic to dogs.
- Cooked chicken:Cook small pieces of chicken along with very light spices for your dog. This is an ideal substitute for dog food when you have run out and are in a pinch. You can also mix it in with your dog’s regular food to provide taste and variety to the diet.
- Cheese:Cheese is a big no-no for most humans but makes a great treat for dogs as long as they are not lactose intolerant. When you reward your dog with cheese, make sure to monitor their reaction.Also, make sure to use low or reduced fat varieties like cottage cheese. When giving dogs cheese, make sure to use small bite-sized morsels and not overfeed them.
- Yogurt:Yogurt is a probiotic milk derivative that is rich in calcium and protein. The bacteria in the yogurt help with your dog’s digestive system. You can mix it in with your dog’s regular meal or prepare a sort of ice-cream by mixing it with peanut-butter.However, you will need to ensure that the yogurt you feed your dog does not have any artificial sweeteners, flavors or additives.
- Eggs:Scramble an egg with very light spices for your dogs. Eggs are a good supplement with dog food as they are a rich source of proteins, riboflavin, and selenium. This will keep your dog’s coat healthy and boost their immune system.
- Salmon:Salmons are bulky, ocean fish that are a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids will keep your dog’s coat healthy and lustrous. They also boost a dog’s immune system. You can feed your dog either cooked salmon or just add a few drops of salmon oil to their regular food. You can even slip them some of the fish skins where most of the fatty acids are concentrated.