Are you planning on taking your feline along for a long road trip? Are you concerned about the safety of your feline during this time? Then remember that it is safe to take your feline along on a road trip, provided you follow these instructions:
- Get identification for your catThe very first step you should take before setting off on a long road trip is to get your feline micro-chipped. Regardless of how careful you are, accidents happen and your feline may escape or get lost. You can also add details such as your phone number or your address so that your feline is returned to you in case it escapes of gets lost.
- Purchase a comfortable pet carrierThe next step to making the long road trip safe is to purchase a comfortable pet carrier or a travel crate for your feline. If the pet carrier is spacious, your feline will feel comfortable and happy. When you are on the road, it is comforting to know that your feline is in a secure pet carrier. Also, you have to make sure your feline is content being in a carrier.
- Allow the cat to get comfortable with car journeys|Just like human beings, felines can also get carsick or suffer from motion sickness. You have to get your feline used to traveling in a car before going off on a long road trip. You can start off by taking your feline in your to the supermarket or the dry cleaners. Over time, your feline will get over its motion sickness. If your feline isn’t getting over its motion sickness, ask the vet for medication.
- Pack a travel kit for the catWhen you are going for a long road trip, you always make it a point to carry essentials such as your wallet, water, and food to name a few. You need to do the same when you are taking your feline along for a long road trip. Your feline’s travel kit should contain water, food, bowls, litter, a litter scoop, toys, treats, pet towels and wipes, and medicines.
- Find hotels that accept catsYou will never know what will happen when you go for a long road trip. Sometimes, the trip will take longer than usual or the car will breakdown. During times like these, you will have to check into a hotel. As not every hotel accepts felines, you have to find out which ones do on your route and make a list of them.
By following these simple instructions, you will be able to take your cat along for a long road trip. If you have any queries, please leave a comment below.