Image Credits: Pixabay
Other than babies and cute cats, the only other subject of photos guaranteed to get maximum “likes” on social media will be of dogs drinking “alcohol” or a dog sitting with a can of beer by its side. Before you rush to give your dog your choice of alcoholic drink and take photos, do know the reality first.
The principal ingredient of all fermented or processed alcohol is mostly those which are poison to canines. Grapes, to cite an example, are fermented to make wine. It is a sweet and delicious fruit. It is a mystery as to how grapes are toxic to dogs. Forget wines, you should not offer anything made of grape or its byproducts to your dog.
Then comes beer, arguably the most popular alcoholic drink on the planet. This alcohol is made of grain, yeast, and water. Similar to grapes and wine, it is still a mystery as to why hops are toxic to dogs. If your dog drinks even a few drops of beer, then it will suffer from violent physical reactions. There will be not only immediate physical symptoms like vomiting, labored breathing, and body temperature fluctuations, but also probable kidney damage. If you home-brew, remember to keep your curious dog away from both the alcohol and the equipment.
A bored dog will eat anything. It may eat a new food out of curiosity. Remember that dog physiology is different from that of humans. One reason for alcohol being toxic to dogs is their body size. It requires much lesser quantities of alcohol to make a dog drunk. The amount of toxic substance needed to poison a dog is also much less than a human due to the animal's smaller size. Dogs cannot drink beer. The alcohol can be poisonous to the animal even if it is present in other forms like beer batter-made chops.
Poisoning will occur even if the animal licks the floor where a few drops of beer mistakenly fell. The kidneys of dogs are not compatible with alcohol. You should not bring beer near your dog under any circumstance. Dogs are thus highly susceptible to ethanol toxicosis or alcohol poisoning. Since dogs have a smaller stature, alcohol poisoning will lead to more dangerous results.
Your dog's suffering will increase with greater alcohol content. The nervous system, like humans, is the first to go. The dog will be confused, weakened, or disorientated. Degradation of motor functions is one of the primary symptoms of any dog suffering from ethanol toxicosis. A dog that drank alcohol will invariably suffer from a number of digestive upsets like vomiting and diarrhea. There could also be kidney failures, or the animal could drop into a coma.
What happens if a dog drinks alcohol?
If a dog consumes alcohol, it can have serious and potentially life-threatening consequences. It is essential to follow the dosage recommendations made by the manufacturer or suggested by a veterinarian. When a dog ingests alcohol, whether accidentally or intentionally, it quickly enters the bloodstream and affects the central nervous system, this can result in a variety of symptoms in dogs, starting with disorientation, unsteady movement, and impaired coordination. The depressant nature of alcohol can cause a dangerous decrease in a dog's heart rate and breathing. Other potential symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and loss of bladder control. Dogs may exhibit confusion, lethargy, and drowsiness. When alcohol poisoning is severe, it can cause convulsions, respiratory failure, coma, or even death. It is crucial to understand that alcohol is toxic to dogs, and their bodies are not efficient at processing or eliminating it. Even little amounts of alcohol can have a big impact on their health. The intensity of the symptoms can vary depending on the size, age, and general health of the dog. Therefore, it is vital to seek immediate veterinary attention if a dog ingests alcohol.
Can dogs drink whiskey?
No, dogs should never be allowed to drink whiskey or any other alcoholic beverage. Whiskey, with its high alcohol concentration, poses a grave danger to dogs due to its extreme toxicity. While the effects of alcohol on dogs are similar to those on humans, dogs are far more vulnerable due to their smaller size and unique metabolism. Even a small quantity of whiskey can have severe consequences for a dog's health and overall well-being. Ingesting alcohol can result in various symptoms in dogs, including disorientation, impaired coordination, decreased heart rate and breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, confusion, lethargy, drowsiness, and loss of bladder control. These symptoms can rapidly escalate, potentially leading to coma, death, respiratory failure, seizures, and respiratory failure. Dogs are particularly susceptible to the detrimental effects of alcohol because their systems lack the necessary enzymes to absorb and eliminate ethanol efficiently. It is essential for dog owners to understand the risks associated with allowing their pets to consume alcohol, including whiskey. Dogs should never be given alcohol for entertainment purposes or as a means of calming them down. Instead, responsible pet owners should ensure that their pets have ample access to clean water and a nutritionally balanced diet. If a dog accidentally ingests whiskey or any other alcoholic beverage, immediate veterinary attention must be sought.
What to do if my dog licks alcohol?
If your dog comes into contact with alcohol through licking, it is crucial to take immediate action to ensure their safety and well-being. The first step is to carefully remove any remaining alcohol from your dog's vicinity to prevent further ingestion. Next, keep a tight eye out for any indications of distress or strange behavior in your dog. It's crucial to get in touch with your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary facility as soon as you observe signs like confusion, vomiting, or lethargy. Be prepared to provide detailed information about the type of alcohol involved, the approximate amount your dog may have consumed, and any observed symptoms. The veterinarian will evaluate the situation and provide guidance on the necessary steps to take. They may advise inducing vomiting, providing supportive care at home, or recommend bringing your dog in for a comprehensive examination. It is essential to act swiftly, as alcohol toxicity can lead to serious complications that require immediate attention.
Will a little wine hurt my dog?
While a little wine might not immediately cause significant harm to your dog, you should understand that any amount of alcohol can be potentially dangerous to them. Dogs exhibit heightened sensitivity to the effects of alcohol compared to humans, primarily due to their smaller size and different metabolic processes. Even a small quantity of wine can result in alcohol poisoning and pose significant risks to their health. Consumption of alcohol by dogs may manifest in symptoms such as disorientation, compromised coordination, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, lethargy, and, in severe instances, seizures or coma. It's important to note that wine not only contains alcohol but also other components like grapes or raisins that can be toxic to dogs, potentially leading to kidney damage. Moreover, the ethanol present in wine can inflict harm on a dog's liver and other vital organs. Prioritizing your dog's well-being necessitates abstaining from offering them any quantity of wine or any other alcoholic beverage. Instead, ensure they have access to fresh water and a nutritionally balanced diet that fulfills their dietary requirements.