5 Halloween Safety Tips For Your Pet

By October 17 | See Comments

Published by:

5 Halloween Safety Tips For Your Pet
Image Source: Pixabay

It’s almost that time of the year again where children go trick-or-treating and there’s a lot of candy lying around everywhere. Halloween is almost upon us and keeping our pets safe on the spookiest night of the year has to be a priority. Here are a few tips you can follow in order to keep your animal friends safe this Halloween.

  1. Keep Trick-Or-Treat Candies Away From Your Pet.Any and all kinds of chocolate can be dangerous to your dog. Especially dark chocolate or baking chocolate. Keep these delicious human treats away from animals. Chocolate poisoning can have severe effects on your dog. The symptoms related to chocolate poisoning are diarrhea, vomiting, rapid breathing, seizures, and an increase in heart rate. Chocolate isn’t the only treat that can be dangerous for your dogs.Another threat to your dog’s health this Halloween is the sweetener called xylitol that’s used in candies. Xylitol can cause an immediate drop in your dog’s blood sugar levels causing seizures and a loss of coordination. Although the toxicity of Xylitol is still to be determined in cats, keep them away. After all, you’re better safe than sorry.
  2. Keep Your Pets Away From The Door. Halloween is one of the busiest nights of the year with children barging in for candy every few seconds. These little strangers who are loud and unusually dressed are especially scary for your dogs. Your dogs are extremely territorial and that could pose a threat to the trick-or-treaters. Keeping your dog confined in a secure room also prevents him from running out into the night. A scary night where no one wants to be out looking for a lost pet.
  3. Never Leave Pets Out In The Yard During Halloween. Certain pranksters are known to go as far as kidnapping and even killing animals during Halloween. All that can be prevented if you keep your dog in a safe room in the house.
  4. Keep Electric Light Cords Out Of Your Dog’s Reach. If your pet chews on a wire, he could possibly get a life-threatening shock. Cats are drawn to bright things. If she chews on sparkly Christmas lights, she’ll end up getting cuts inside her mouth that can lead to infections.
  5. Make Sure He Has Contact Information Written On His Collar. On the slight chance that he does get lost on this busy night, it is of utmost importance that you keep an ID on his tag so that whoever finds him will be able to return him to you. Make sure you provide contact details including your number, an alternative number, and your home address.Don’t let negligence be the cause of disaster during Halloween. Protect your pets from this scary night by taking proper precautions.
SHOW COMMENTS
comments powered by Disqus

Was this article helpful?