Image source: Pixabay.com
Flea infestations are the worst. There are so many species of fleas and each one is harder than the last to get rid of. The main goal of preventing fleas naturally is getting through a flea season without infestation. Keeping your pet flea-free is one of the best things you can do for him. Once the fleas are in your house and on your dogs, the headache never stops.It’ll be a big hurdle to get rid of the fleas once the infestation starts. You’ll have to give your dogs a flea bath every week, vacuum everything you own, and wash all the fabrics in your house. The worst part is you won’t just have to do all this once, you’ll have to do it over and over again until you’re sure without the shadow of a doubt that the infestation is gone for good. That’s why prevention is the best treatment.So what is the best way to prevent fleas from taking up shop on your pet’s body? Follow these 3 simple home remedies and tips that makes keeping your pet flea-free easy.
Follow these instructions if you do have carpets that you can’t get rid of.
- Keep fleas out of your yard.NematodesDid you know that nematodes like termites, ants, and grubs eat fleas and ticks? Sometimes they might be a nuisance but in this particular case, they are on your team. When the weather gets especially high, it’s like a party for the fleas. But having useful nematodes in your yard can keep them at bay from your pets.MowingKeeping your lawns cut short will limit flea infestation. When the grass is shorter, they won’t really have many places to hide.GarlicFleas hate garlic. Maybe that’s how the vampire myth started too. These blood suckers hate everything about garlic. Garlic is safe enough to use in the yard. The only thing that garlic repels is fleas and that’s a good thing. You’ll just need to make a garlic infused solution which you can then spray on your lawn.
- Take good care of your home.Remove carpets. Fleas love the comfort and cover that carpets offer. If you can’t get rid of the carpets, at least opt for Berber carpets. The make of these carpets make them uninhabitable for fleas.
- Steam clean them at least twice annually.
- Vacuum the carpet in all areas of the house on a weekly basis.
- Try spreading diatomaceous earth monthly during flea season.
Remember to keep your pet healthy through all this. Fleas and ticks tend to affect weak and unhealthy pets. The weak always tend to be the victims.