Image Credit - Wikimedia.org/
If you are a pet owner who has lived with a cat for a long time, you might have forgotten how repulsive and annoying litter boxes can be. It is not very different from a mother deciding to give birth again. They must definitely have forgotten how hard it was the first time around. Why else would they agree to go through the experience again? But nature lets women forget the pain so for the survival of the species. However, there is no such excuse for litter boxes. By all rights, pet owners should never forget how messy and smelly a box of pee and poop can be.Urine is bad, but fecal material is a quite a different matter altogether. This post is meant for pet owners who have been through this hassle before. Considering the fact that most of you might have forgotten what it is like to keep a litter box
, you might as well start over again. Here are a few tips to help you out:
- If it is possible, play around with different foods to see which of them causes the poop of your cat to smell the least. For instance, some therapeutic diets meant for sensitive urinary tracts are much better the regular ones when it comes to curbing the smell.
- Convince your cat that it is better to relieve himself in the great, wide outdoors. You might have to go for a poop patrol in the enclosure outside, but that is much better than having to manage a litter box.
- The type of litter box is also a thing to take into account. Top loading litter boxes are highly convenient. This box has a cover on top and makes it easy for your cat to jump in and out of it. It is easy to contain the mess since these boxes are deep and the plastic mat on top acts as a litter mat that catches the stray bits of pee and poop that might end up on the floor.
- The most difficult aspect is cleaning up the mess around the box. Keep a vacuum cleaner handy, right next to the litter box to make your job easier.
- It is easy to compost kitty litter if you use pine or a natural fiber litter (with no added substances). Pine shavings are really cheap and are much cheaper that brand name pines.
If you follow the above tips, it will make it easy for you to manage litter boxes. After all, it’s part of the job description if you are a cat owner, and is probably the most distasteful part. If your cat has problems using the litter box, consult an animal behaviorist for advice.