Image Credit - Pixabay.com/
There is nothing that cats love more than climbing, exploring and checking out their surroundings. Cat shelves make for the ultimate exploratory toy. It will keep your feline friend occupied for hours on end. As a pet owner, all you have to do is make sure that the shelves are safe and sturdy. We will give you some tips about how to make a good one. Here are some supplies you will need to get started:
- Wood – You can make use of scrap wood from the old furniture in your house. You can also check with furniture stores to see if they have any leftover wood.
- Brackets – These should match the size of your wood.
- Staples and a staple gun.
- Power tools – Power tools have a leg up over manual tools as they can get your job done much more quickly.
- Safety glasses.
- Screws and screwdrivers – You will need a set of screws that will fit in the brackets and be able to go through the wood. Take care that they are not longer than the wood so that they do not poke out. As for the shelves, you will need a longer set to attach them to the wall.
- A level for mounting shelves on to your wall.
- Material to cover your shelf – You can make use of carpet from your local hardware store. Shelf liner will do the job just as well. You can use multiple textures on different shelves to make it more fun for your cat.
– Zero down on the size of the shelves. Mark off where you want to cut the wood with a pencil, and use the power tool to finish the job.Step 2
– Attach the brackets to the board’s underside. Make sure that the screws do not poke out through the top. Put the bracket’s shorter end on the wood and leave the longer side to go through the wall. This will ensure that there is more weight against the wall. Then drill the screws into place and make sure that they do not stick out through the top of the wood.Step 3
– Take the shelf covering and size it so that it fits the shelf. Staple it on the side if it is possible. If you are planning to use strips to staple the top, make sure that the staples on the top go all the way so that nothing sticks out. If the staples stick up, make use of a hammer to drill them into the wood.Step 4
– Take the anchors and longer screws and mount the cat shelf onto the wall.Step 5
– Step back and watch your cat entertain himself for hours on end.