How Fatal Are Fertilizers And Pesticides For Pets? Things to know if your pet comes in contact with fertilizers.

BY | December 07 | COMMENTS PUBLISHED BY
How Fatal Are Fertilizers And Pesticides For Pets? Photo by Sedat Altinbas: https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-sad-black-and-white-dog-lying-down-on-the-ground-2612940/

Thumbnail of ChuckIt! Flying Squirrel

ChuckIt! Flying Squirrel

Balls & Fetching Toys
{{petcare_price|currency}} Price in Cart w/PetPlus {{petplus_price|currency}} See PetPlus Price in Cart

Pets are part of the family, and we all want to protect them. Unfortunately, there are some household chemicals and other substances that can harm pets just as they do humans.

You may be wondering, are fertilizers and pesticides dangerous to pets? The answer is yes. They can be. Many pesticides and fertilizers are also toxic for dogs and cats, and even birds. The most common symptom of chemical poisoning is difficulty breathing, but there are other symptoms to watch out for as well.

When ingested or absorbed through the skin, fertilizers and pesticides can cause your dog or cat poisoning. Poisoning is a serious risk because it can lead to death if not treated immediately by a veterinarian.

Fertilizers contain chemicals designed to kill weeds and harmful insects on your lawn, but these same chemicals also can harm other living things like your pet. Pesticides are substances used to kill insects in crops and gardens; some are toxic even at low concentrations. When these chemicals get onto your lawn or garden beds (and then into your yard), they can also be dangerous for your pet if she comes into contact with them while playing outside or exploring the yard looking for bugs to catch.

Ingested Or Absorbed Through The Skin

Pesticides are often used on lawns and gardens, but if your pet licks the grass after its treatment, it may ingest some of these toxicants. Chemicals like pesticides and fertilizers can also get onto your hands while you're working in your garden or on a weekend project and then be transferred to your pet when you give them a hug or scratch their ears, feet, or belly.

Chemicals absorbed through the skin can cause irritation leading to redness, itching, or burning sensations that may not show up until hours after contact has occurred.

Ingestion is the most common route of exposure to chemicals. Most pets will lick or eat the chemical directly, but some may become exposed by licking contaminated fur, skin, or dog chew toys. Some chemical compounds can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled into the lungs, causing similar symptoms as ingestion.

Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. Other signs include excessive salivation, lethargy, and weakness. If left untreated without the right treatment and pet meds, these symptoms can recur throughout your dog’s life span with each exposure to a chemical that affects their organs long term.

Treating Fertilizer Toxicity In Pets

Treatment of fertilizer toxicity in dogs is based upon supportive care and may include: hospitalization and intravenous fluids to help flush out the kidneys, supportive care for shock, blood transfusions, and antibiotics for dogs if an infection develops due to damaged kidneys or breathing difficulties.

The veterinarian will examine your dog and attempt to induce vomiting to remove any undigested fertilizer from its stomach. This is very important since continued consumption of fertilizers can cause life-threatening damage to the kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. You may need to bring a sample of the fertilizer to your vet for analysis. Your veterinarian may recommend pet medicine and a surgical procedure called gastrotomy, in which an incision is made in the stomach wall and part of the contents removed.

Symptoms Of Chemical Poisoning 

If your pet has difficulty breathing, get them to the vet immediately. The most serious symptom of chemical poisoning is difficulty breathing. This is because the pet cannot get enough oxygen into its bloodstream, which leads to oxygen deprivation and, ultimately, death.

If you see your pet's mouth swelling, immediately take it to the vet. If their mouth is swollen shut, they can't breathe. This is a very serious symptom of chemical poisoning that requires emergency treatment and pet medication. The animal may also have other symptoms, such as drooling, loss of coordination, and convulsions.

Conclusion

The good news is that most of the time, pets will recover from chemical exposure with no lasting effects. But too many deaths could be prevented if pet owners took more care and kept chemicals safely away from their animals. If you’re looking for a way to show your love for your dog or cat, there are many other ways besides giving them treats with potentially harmful ingredients; you can get in touch with a pet pharmacy for more information. Instead, get them something natural like flowers or grasses from outside (which can also help relieve stress), belly rubs, or spend some quality time together by going on walks together around town.

Was this article helpful?

You May Also Like

Image for Is Salmonella Uncommon In Pets?
Is Salmonella Uncommon In Pets?

How to identify and avoid the bacteria?

Read More
Image for Organic Food For Pets
Organic Food For Pets

Why and how to go organic with your furry friends?

Read More