Garden Danger for Canines: Common Plants that are Harmful to Dogs

By February 05 | See Comments

Published by:

Image Credit - Publicdomainpictures.net/

Unlike cats, dogs are not strict carnivores. They have a scavenging instinct which causes them to eat anything that would fulfill their nutritional needs. They also love exploring the world around them with their mouths. Unfortunately, this means that they end up eating things that aren't good for them. Moldy garbage, rat poison, and even dark chocolate are all dangerous items that dogs will end up eating if given the chance. Outside in the garden too, there are plants that can pose serious danger to your pup.In fact, there is a good chance that you are not aware of all the plants that can pose a threat to your canine. Just like humans, dogs can poison themselves by ingesting the wrong plant. The Cornell university's animal science department suggests adding bran flakes to your dog's food or switching the diet to a vegetable

fiber rich

one to deter his cravings for vegetarian food. As a pack leader, you need to know the common plants that can endanger your dog's life. A lot of them are benign – tomato plant, for instance is likely to cause mild discomfort to your dog. They have been arranged according to their potential toxicity. The most toxic plants can cause a lot of damage, including coma and death. The mildly toxic plants should be avoided as well, but they do not cause severe symptoms. It's best to avoid buying plants and flowers that are known to be toxic. Please note that this list does not list all the poisonous plants, but just the common ones. If you have a specific plant in your nursery or garden that you are concerned about, ask the local veterinarian.

Most toxicToxicMildly Toxic
Rhododendron/AzaleaAloe veraBaby's breath
CyclamenBegoniaGladiola
Castor beanAmaryllisCarnation
MilkweedChrysanthemumTomato plant
Sago palmHosta
OleanderDaffodil
YewMorning glory
Poinsettia
What steps do you have to take if you suspect dog poisoning

If you notice your dog eat anything poisonous, or if he displays sudden symptoms like vomiting, seizures, heavy breathing, or tremors, contact the veterinarian or a poison control hotline at the earliest. Every toxin needs a different treatment. So don't ever make the mistake of assuming that you know the next best step. Inducing vomiting is the proper treatment in some cases, but it can be more dangerous in other cases. So make sure to consult a professional.The ASCPA hotline is available throughout the day for pet poisonings: (888) 426-4435. However, they charge a consultation fee of $65 to your credit card. The local emergency clinic or veterinarian will also be able to offer consultation. Post these numbers in a prominent place so that you can call them as soon as possible in the case of an emergency.

SHOW COMMENTS
comments powered by Disqus

Was this article helpful?