Can Inadvertent Poisoning Cause Death In Pets? All you need to know about inadvertent poison

BY | January 04 | COMMENTS PUBLISHED BY
Can Inadvertent Poisoning Cause Death In Pets? Photo by Maksim Goncharenok: https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-petting-a-dog-4422100/

Thumbnail of MidWest Quiet Time Fleece Blue Paw Print Reversible Pet Bed & Crate Mat

MidWest Quiet Time Fleece Blue Paw Print Reversible Pet Bed & Crate Mat

Beds
{{petcare_price|currency}} Price in Cart w/PetPlus {{petplus_price|currency}} See PetPlus Price in Cart

Pets are part of the family, and we want to keep them safe and healthy. But with so many different medications and substances around the house. It's common for your pet to ingest something that could turn out to be deadly.

Various substances can poison pets, but some are more dangerous than others. The most common cause of death in pets is poisoning, which accounts for more deaths in pets under one-year-old. Other substances that can kill pets include:

  • Prescription medications - This is the second leading cause of accidental death in pets over 1 year old and accounts for about 10% of accidental deaths overall.

  • Herbicides - Do not use these products on your lawn or garden if your dog has access to it. They contain chemicals that can cause serious damage to your pet’s liver or kidneys if ingested.

  • Insecticides/rodenticides - These pesticides are designed specifically to kill pests like rats and mice but may also harm cats and dogs if they come into contact with them or ingest them accidentally. Ensure that no one leaves out any rodent bait near dog beds or pet supplies.

Is Pet Poisoning A Common Cause Of Death?

Pet poisoning is a common cause of death in pets. In fact, it's the most common cause of pet poisoning and can lead to severe illness and even death. Most poisonings occur when owners accidentally leave pet medication and other substances out where their pets can access them.

In addition to human medications and products, substances such as antifreeze, cleaning supplies, rodenticides (mouse traps), or rat poisons can be toxic to pets if ingested by accident or by an animal who may be curious about what you're using around your home.

What Medications Can Cause Poisoning In Pets?

Many pet medications can cause poisoning of your pet. The most common types include over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, homeopathic remedies, herbal remedies, and vitamins and minerals. Pets may also be poisoned by plants or other animals they find in their environment.

Can Non-Prescription Drugs Kill Pets?

Non-prescription drugs can be toxic to pets. Every year, nearly a million pets are poisoned by non-prescription medications. Many people are unaware that some common household items contain ingredients that could cause harm to their pets. Common sources of accidental poisoning include:

  • Medications for humans (over-the-counter and prescription)

  • Insecticides or rat poisons

  • Plants, fruits, and vegetables

  • Gasses such as bleach and ammonia

What Other Substances Are Poisonous To Pets?

You should keep all toxic substances out of the reach of your pets, but there are some common household products that can be especially dangerous.

Pets are vulnerable to the same poisons as people, so if you have babies or toddlers in your home, make sure they don't get into any pet medicines or cleaning supplies. The same goes for plants around your house; some can be deadly to pets.

Are Older Pets At Greater Risk?

Older pets are at greater risk of poisoning. The older your pet is, the more likely it will have liver or kidney problems. These organ systems break down pet meds in ways that are different from younger animals. They can also be less able to process certain chemicals that result in toxicity. Additionally, as we age, our bodies become more vulnerable to the effects of toxins because their ability to adapt is limited, and other medical conditions—like diabetes or heart disease—can make us more susceptible to poisoning.

Finally, older pets may take multiple pet medications from the pet pharmacy for a wide range of health issues; this makes them even more susceptible than young dogs and cats because it increases the likelihood of overlapping substances entering their bodies simultaneously.

Medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, and everyday household substances that seem harmless to humans can be very toxic to pets.

Inadvertent poisoning is one of the most common reasons for visits to the animal hospital. Common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Abdominal pain or tenderness

Conclusion

Pet owners should be aware that many common medications and household products are poisonous to pets. It’s important to keep all medications and chemicals stored safely out of reach, especially if you have young children or grandchildren who might want to play with them. Keep your pet away from substances that could harm it, such as antifreeze, pills, and plants.

Was this article helpful?

You May Also Like