Is Your Pet Poisoned? Here’s What You Should Do

By March 30 | See Comments

Published by:

Is Your Pet Poisoned? Here’s What You Should Do
Image Source: Pixabay.com

Our pets mean the world to us. They’re like a part of our family. We never want to see them go and it makes us sad to see them suffering or in pain. We always want the best for them because that’s all they want for us. They give us so many things, these innocent creatures. That’s why it’s so painful to see them suffer. Poisoning is one of the main reasons pets are rushed to the ER every year.The sad part about all this is that majority of these incidents can be prevented. 9 out of 10 cases of pet poisoning happens at their own home. You might have accidentally left some chocolate lying around and your dog could have gotten to it. Sultanas, currants, and raisins are also a hazard. The number of accidents tends to increase during the holiday season, mainly because those are the times when a lot of cooking is done. With the baking, and roasting, and preparing dessert, you’re bound to misplace a few bars of chocolate, which in fact, is deadly for your dog. Antifreeze is another common cause of pet poisoning.If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned, contact your vet immediately. Don’t delay it – especially when you’re not sure of the toxin causing his pain. Pet poisoning progresses rapidly so don’t play with time, call your vet ASAP.

What are the signs that my pet has been poisoned?Poisons which were inhaled can cause:
  • Drooling
  • Coughing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coma
Poisons which were swallowed can cause:
  • Vomiting
  • Gastrointestinal irritation
  • Diarrhea
  • Staggering
  • Restlessness
  • Convulsions
  • Disorientation
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Dilated pupils
  • Twitching
  • Ulcers
  • Coma
  • Heart palpitations

If your pet was poisoned by something he simply came into contact with, it can cause:

  • Skin irritations
  • Showing signs of agitation and discomfort
  • Excessive licking and scratching
  • Hives
  • Pain
  • Skin appears to be ulcerated or red
  • Bleeding could occur beneath the coat, depending on the severity of the poison.
What should be your immediate reaction?

Contact your vet immediately. You’re only wasting time when you hesitate. Try to find out what exactly poisoned your pet. If you can, also note down the amount he ingested, and the potential strength of the toxin. When you take your pet to the vet, you should also give him your pet’s weight, so that your vet can assess how much harm had been done by the poison.

Here are a few things you should do:

If your pet was poisoned through inhalation, get him to fresh air as soon as you can.If the poisoning happened through contact, remove the toxin from his skin or fur. Take care to wear protective gloves.Remove liquids using paper towelsNever use solvents or water to wash away the poisonDon’t induce vomiting, even when you know the toxin had been swallowedBefore you take any steps to relieve his pain, talk to your vet about it first.This information is for informational purposes only and is not meant as a substitute for the professional advice of, or diagnosis or treatment by, your veterinarian with respect to your pet.

SHOW COMMENTS
comments powered by Disqus

Was this article helpful?