7 Items You Should Know That are Actually Toxic for Your Dog


Image credits -


We live in an industrialized world and that puts us at constant risk from toxins. Environmental toxicity is a big problem these days and thereโ€™s very little we can do to keep a control over it, apart from making small changes in our own homes.This means we need to keep ourselves informed about the products we use or the food we eat. Now that brings up another issue โ€“ pets. We might be able to keep a track of all the things we use at home and protect ourselves appropriately.However, animals canโ€™t do that and itโ€™s our job, as pet parents, to protect them. So, how do you go about it? Well, you need to educate yourself about items at home that could be toxic for your pet.Here is a brief list to help you out. But, we suggest you do some research of your own for more information.


The one thing that your pet and you need equally is water. However, even that can pose a risk, According to the WHO (World Health Organization), water is often contaminated. But, the level of contamination can vary depending on the region. These contaminants typically include hazardous chemicals such as iron, arsenic and fluoride and even endocrine disruptors such as bisphenols and phthalates.So, make sure the water you and your pet consume at home is filtered. There are quite a few affordable and effective home water filtration units out there from manufacturers such as PUR, Aquasana, and Brita. Make sure you buy one and have it installed ASAP.


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in products such as sugarless gum and other sorts of confectionery. Itโ€™s approved for humans in small doses, but, a complete no-no for dogs, especially smaller breeds. Even one piece of xylitol-sweetened gum is enough to cause toxicity. This can lead to symptoms such as vomiting and poor coordination.So, keep that stick of sugarless gum away from your pet.

Coffee, Tea, and Alcohol

Coffee, alcohol and tea have been listed by the ASPCA as โ€œโ€ฆFoods to Avoid Feeding Your Petโ€. Consuming these items can cause your pet to have issues such as limited coordination, depression, breathing problems, diarrhea, and vomiting.


This is something your dog is definitely going to find tempting. However, rawhide isnโ€™t as safe as you think it is. When the hide is prepared, it is treated with a chemical concoction to remove all the hair. This process is called sodium sulphide liming. So, there is bound to be some chemical residue left at the end of it all.In fact, studies have found leftover traces of formaldehyde and arsenic.So, switch over to safer chew options such as raw carrots, sweet potato slices, and deer antlers etc.

Was this article helpful?