Image source: Freegreatpicture.com/
Just like how we perceive our homes to be a safe and quiet environment, cats too need a home that is ‘cat-friendly’. As cats are territorial, their happiness depends on the surrounding environment. When people (including pet owners) build homes, they generally don’t think about making considerations for pets. Even if you aren’t sure whether you want to have an indoor or outdoor cat, you still would have to keep them inside when they fall ill or if the weather is bad. Here are 5 tips that you can use so that your home is as cat-friendly as possible.
- Eliminate all hazards from the surrounding environmentCats are like babies, they are extremely curious about anything they lay their eyes on. Round up all items that have chemicals in them such as household cleaning products, fertilizers, pesticides, and paint and store them in closed cabinets. Cats when introduced to a new household, will investigate every nook and cranny of their new surrounding. Storing chemicals in a high place that is out of sight is a strict no-no.
- Have scratching posts/areasCats mark their territory and maintain their claws by scratching surfaces. Invest in a scratching post to stop cats from scratching the furniture in your house. Ensure that the scratching post allows the cat to scratch both vertically and horizontally.
- Have high resting placesCats love climbing high places so that they can rest and observe their surroundings in a safe manner. If you don’t have a staircase at home, make sure that there are shelves, cupboards, wardrobes, or any other high platform to satisfy the kitty.
- Create a safe zoneJust like humans, cats need to take time off as it is an essential part of their daily routine. This can be achieved by providing space behind sofas, under beds, and inside cupboards/wardrobes to name a few. Provide a bed to make it more welcoming.
- Have a litter trayMake sure that you have a litter tray at home, even if the cat is allowed to roam outside your house. Pay attention to where you want to keep a litter tray as its location is important. The area where it is located should be located in discrete places that are far away from stressful areas at home. For cats to attend to nature’s call, the area of defecation should be a place of safety.
You can use the above simple tips to make your home as cat-friendly as possible. You don’t have to only adhere to these tips as you can also use your imagination to enrich the environment even further. By making provisions for your cat ensures that your feline friend will be happy for the rest of their lives.