Image Source: Pixabay.com/
There was a time when dogs were taken care by only their owners. But not anymore. Professional dog grooming has become popular and many individuals are grooming dogs to earn their daily bread. The profession of dog grooming is interesting for people who love animals and want to take care of them.Whether you’re picking dog grooming as a profession or you want to know how it’s done, the following 5 things about dog grooming are import and might come in handy if you’re handling dogs.
- Dogs tend to biteYou might have seen videos of dog grooming where the dog looks relaxed while the groomer does his job. You might have also thought that every dog behaves the same way when it gets groomed. But it’s not! There are many cases where dogs try to bite or scratch the one handling them.
- Creativity worksWhile handling dogs, you have to be creative. If you wish to be a dog groomer, then you should focus a lot on creativity. Creativity will help you develop handling skills and improvisation that are very important in grooming professions.
- Expect dogs to be fussyHandling animals is not an easy task and most of them can be fussy. It is the same with dogs and understand their needs should be one of your talents. Some dogs can be trained with treats while others need a different approach.
- Don’t lose your calmAccording to experts, dog grooming is one of the dirtiest jobs in the world. Remember to keep your calm and treat them as you would treat a child. It may not be fun dealing with dogs all the time. Sometimes you can even expect a bit of dog poop or vomit on your hands. But that should not keep you off from doing your job.
- Groom them from a young ageOne of the reasons why you need to start early at the grooming process is to train them. Puppies are easier to handle and train than older dogs. Grooming will also allow them to trust you when you are doing your job. If you want to be a professional groomer, then tell your clients to do the same so that it becomes easier for you to handle dogs.
Dog grooming is a fun profession if you understand the job requirements and the kind of temperament you require to do the job. Be creative at your dog and find out new and interesting ways to groom. Teach your clients simple grooming tricks that they can do at home. That way the dogs get adjusted to the grooming process and they won’t create a fuss. Keep calm and groom!