At a Glance
Controls severity and frequency of seizures associated with epilepsy
Provides an effective means of controlling convulsions associated with infectious neuropathies such as virus encephalitis and distemper
Used for dogs and rarely for cats
This product requires a prescription.
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
- Wholesale prices on Flea & Tick, Heartworm, Supplements, & Rx Food
- Wholesale prices on all Prescription Medication
- Free shipping on all PetPlus items
- 20% off all other products on PetCareRx.com
- 24/7 Vet Helpline - Call, Email, Chat
- 100% Member Savings Guarantee
- Only $50/year (per pet, plus tax)That's UNDER $5 per month!
Learn More »
An anticonvulsant that reduces the frequency and severity of seizures and controls epilepsy.When Primidone is ingested, it’s converted to phenobarbital which is an anticonvulsant. It works by decreasing nerve impulses in the nervous system, which helps to reduce seizures.
Generally used for dogs only.
Side Effects and Warnings
If your pet develops any of the following serious side effects, stop giving primidone and seek emergency veterinary medical attention; an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, tongue, face, or hives); a rash; worsening of seizures; fever. Other less serious side effects may occur. Continue to give primidone and talk to your veterinarian if your pet experiences dizziness, poor coordination, or drowsiness; blurred vision; irregular back and forth movements of the eyes; or nausea and vomiting
Possible interactions: Acetazolamide (Diamox), carbamazepine (Tegretol), ethosuximide (Zarontin), and methsuximide (Celontin) may decrease the effects of primidone and require a higher primidone dose. Phenytoin (Dilantin), ethotoin (Peganone), mephenytoin (Mesantoin), and isoniazid may increase the effects of primidone and require a lower primidone dose. Carbamezepine (Tegretol) blood levels may increase when given with primidone. The carbamazepine dose may need to be adjusted lower. CNS depressants, valproic acid and chloramphenicol may increase the effect of primidone. Primidone may decrease the effect of coumadin, corticosteroids (such as prednisone), beta blockers (such as atenolol), theophylline and metronidazole. Use with caution when giving primidone with furosemide, griseofulvin or rifampin.
Keep out of the reach of children and other pets.
250mg per tablet
Store primidone at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Use as directed by your veterinarian.
Dogs (all weights) The usual dose in dogs is 2.3-6.8 mg per pound of pet’s body weight per day in 2 or 3 divided doses. Primidone can be given with food. Allow plenty of water for your pet to drink.
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Frontline Plus is waterproof
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
Epilepsy & Neural Health
In stock! Order now!
based on 0
As a Complete Care Plan member, enjoy the following benefits:
- All of your pet prescriptions at wholesale pricing
- Save 25% every time you go to the vet (through PetAssure)
- Convenient pickup at over 60,000 local pharmacies, including CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart
- 20% off everything at PetCareRx.com
- $50 off your first dog sitter booking with Rover.com
- Guaranteed savings in your first year as a member
- And much more...
All this for only $9.99/month
Would you like to upgrade?
Add at Regular Price