Image Source: Pixabay.com
Mercury poisoning is a subject that is only discussed when there is a spill or a major research on the topic. However, it pays to know that mercury pollution and toxicity is a real threat, not just to you but to your pets. Increasing air pollution levels, untreated sewage, and close proximity to coal and natural gas mines can all lead to high levels of this heavy metal in the environment around you and your furry friends.Is mercury poisoning a real threat to pets?
Yes, mercury poisoning and toxicity in pets is more common than you might imagine. A major cause for such poisoning is rising levels of air and water pollution, which in turn pollutes food and water sources for our pets. Also, because of their smaller bodies, pets are affected by and react to mercury exposure and poisoning more adversely than humans.Symptoms of mercury poisoning
- Loss of muscle coordination
- Drowsiness and insomnia
- Trembling and muscle weakness
- Itchiness and inflammation of the skin
- Kidney malfunction and damage
If you notice any of these symptoms in your pets or suspect mercury spills or exposure, it is best to visit your vet and get your pet tested for mercury toxicity.Effects of mercury poisoning
- Immune system inhibition: The immune system ensures your pets’ bodies are protected against harmful viruses and other microorganisms that enter the body in various ways. Excessive mercury in the body can suppress natural immune responses, increasing chances of infections and leading to health problems because of lowered immunity.
- Endocrine gland imbalances: The endocrine system consists of the adrenal glands, the pineal gland, and the thyroid gland. These glands release hormones that need to be maintained at certain specific levels for the body to function normally. Mercury interferes with this system, throwing the hormone balance in the body off and causing a number of problems, including infertility, chronic inflammation, and autoimmune diseases, among other issues.
- Detoxification failure: High levels of mercury in the body can interfere with the natural detoxification system of your pets’ bodies. The two major organs in the bodies’ detoxification system are kidneys and liver. Mercury interferes with the normal functioning of these organs and reduces their capacity to remove harmful chemicals and waste from the body. You might need to detoxify your pet’s liver in case of mercury exposure.
It is important to take mercury exposure and toxicity seriously as it can lead to a number of health problems and even premature death in your pets if not treated in time. The heavy metal needs to be purged from their system to ensure they recover completely and do not have any lingering effects from the exposure.