Foods That are Poisonous to Dogs

The poisonous foods to keep away from your dog

By June 12 | See Comments

Published by:

Foods That are Poisonous to Dogs

Feeding leftovers to dogs is a common practice; however, there are certain food items that could end up being poisonous for your dog. Some of these are extremely common items that you will be shocked to find on the list. The poisonous foods to keep away from your dog are as follows:

Dogs have a unique talent of using their adorable faces and wistful eyes to get pretty much whatever they want from their fellow humans, especially when it comes to treats. Since they’re basically like kids as far as being a part of a family is concerned, it’s very difficult to ignore their requests. Feeding leftovers to dogs is a common practice; however, there are certain food items that could end up being poisonous for your dog. Some of these are extremely common items that you will be shocked to find on the list.

The poisonous foods to keep away from your dog are as follows:

 

·      Chocolate and Caffeine

Both chocolate and caffeine products can be harmful to your dog. A stimulant known as theobromine that’s present in chocolate is extremely poisonous to our beloved four-legged friends. The darker the chocolate, the more harmful it is, because darker chocolates contain a higher amount of caffeine and theobromine. Therefore, caffeinated beverages should be kept away from dogs as well. If they end up consuming chocolate or caffeine, it could lead to lethargy, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, increased body temperature, diarrhea, and also seizures.

 

·      Xylitol

An artificial sweetener present in candies, gum, and baked goods, xylitol can cause your dog’s blood sugar level to drop, and can also lead to liver damage. Some of the early symptoms can include vomiting, coordination issues, and lethargy. Seizures may also follow soon after. If these symptoms occur, you must visit a vet immediately.

 

·      Onion and Garlic

Food items that fall under the onion family, be it garlic, chives, shallots, or even chives, are harmful to dogs and should be kept away from them. The compounds present in them can lead to anemia, gastroenteritis, or damage to a dog’s red blood cells. The symptoms of garlic or onion consumption take a while to appear, but the early symptoms can include weakness, lethargy, and orange or red-colored urine. Hence, all the food items and dishes that contain a heavy amount of onion and garlic should not be given to dogs at all.

 

·      Alcohol

While alcohol can have adverse effects on humans if consumed in copious amounts, the effect it has on dogs is worse. The smaller the dog, the more severe the effects. Even if taken in small quantities, alcohol can lead to high body temperature, coordination problems, restlessness, vomiting, excessive panting, seizures, and muscle tremors. If not treated on time, it can also cause organ failure.

 

·      Avocado

Avocados contain something known as persin that can be dangerous to dogs. If too much of it is consumed by a dog, it can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Those who grow avocados at home should keep their dogs away from the plant, because the leaves, bark, and seeds contain persin too. The avocado seed could get stuck in the stomach or intestine of your dog, which can indeed be fatal.

 

·      Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins contain certain unknown compounds that can harm your dog. It can lead to kidney failure as well. Having even a small amount of grapes and raisins can lead to constant vomiting. Lethargy and diarrhea can occur as well within 12 hours of consuming raisins and grapes. If the dog isn’t taken to the vet to treat these symptoms, it can then lead to loss of appetite, dehydration, and increased urination followed by decreased urination.

 

·      Milk and Other Dairy Products

Milk, ice cream, blue cheese, and basically all dairy products are dangerous for dogs. Diarrhea and other digestive issues can follow once a dog consumes dairy products. Although it could be tempting to give your dog a bit of your ice cream on a hot summer day, it’s better to give them cold water if you don’t want them to experience any uncomfortable symptoms. It can also lead to itching and food allergies.

 

·      Macadamia Nuts

Whether it’s macadamia nuts or foods with macadamia nuts in them, your dog should not be eating any of it. Even a tiny portion of raw or roasted macadamia nuts can cause sickness in a dog. High temperature, vomiting, and trembling muscles are some of the initial symptoms to look out for. In fact, nuts in general are something you should not be giving to your dog, whether it’s walnuts, almonds, or even pecans.

 

·      Raw Eggs

Many believe that feeding a raw diet to dogs is a good idea, but including raw eggs in that diet is definitely not wise, since many vets believe that it’s not good for a dog. They could also contract food poisoning from the bacteria such as E. coli or salmonella.

 

·      Raw Meat and Fish

Much like raw eggs, raw meat and eggs contain bacteria that could lead to food poisoning as well in dogs. Some fish such as shad, salmon, and trout might contain a parasite that leads to salmon poisoning disease or fish disease. Although it’s treatable, it can cause pain and discomfort to your dog. If you do want to give your dog some fish, make sure it’s fully cooked. The symptoms of eating raw meat and fish are vomiting, big lymph nodes, and fever.

 

·      Yeast Dough

A bread dough rises before it’s baked, and if you give it to your dog, that’s exactly what the dough will do to their stomach. As it starts swelling, it can cause your dog’s abdomen to stretch, causing them a lot of pain. Additionally, when the dough is fermented by the yeast, alcohol is created, which can also lead to alcohol poisoning in a dog.

 

·      Bones

Feeding bones to your dog could seem like a good idea, but they can actually do more damage than good. Bones can cause intestinal obstructions, damage your dog’s teeth, lead your dog to choke on them, and even cause internal injury. If you do want to give your dog bones, it’s best to keep an eye on them while they eat it. Avoid cooked bones as they tend to splinter more easily. Smaller bones can also get stuck in their intestines.

SHOW COMMENTS
comments powered by Disqus

Was this article helpful?