Cerenia is a safe and effective medication that can be used to treat nausea and vomiting in dogs and cats. It works by blocking the action of substance P, a neurotransmitter that can trigger the vomiting reflex.
Cerenia is a medication that has been used for many years in veterinary medicine to treat nausea and vomiting in dogs and cats. It has proven to be very effective in controlling vomiting associated with a wide range of conditions, including motion sickness, chemotherapy, and gastrointestinal disease. Despite its effectiveness, some pet owners may still feel hesitant about using Cerenia for their furry friends. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive overview of Cerenia, its benefits, and why pet owners can feel confident about using it to treat their pets.
What is Cerenia?
Cerenia is a medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as antiemetics. Antiemetics are drugs that are used to prevent or control vomiting. Cerenia is the brand name of the drug maropitant citrate, which was first approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2007 for use in dogs and cats.
How Does Cerenia Work?
Cerenia works by blocking the action of a neurotransmitter called substance P. Substance P is a chemical that is released in the body in response to certain stimuli, such as motion or chemotherapy, and can trigger the vomiting reflex. By blocking substance P, Cerenia helps to prevent vomiting and reduce nausea.
What Are the Benefits of Using Cerenia?
There are several benefits to using Cerenia to treat nausea and vomiting in pets:
- It is effective: Cerenia has been shown to be highly effective in controlling vomiting associated with a range of conditions. In clinical trials, it has been shown to be effective in controlling vomiting caused by motion sickness, chemotherapy, and gastrointestinal disease.
- It is safe: Cerenia is considered to be a safe medication when used as directed by a veterinarian. In clinical trials, it has been shown to have a low incidence of side effects. The most commonly reported side effects include lethargy, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.
· It is convenient: Cerenia is available in several forms, including tablets, injections, and transdermal patches. This makes it easy for pet owners to administer the medication at home, as directed by their veterinarian.
Why Pet owners Can Feel Confident About Using Cerenia?
Pet owners can feel confident about using Cerenia to treat their pets for several reasons:
- It has been extensively studied: Cerenia has been extensively studied in clinical trials to assess its safety and efficacy. The results of these trials have been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and have been reviewed by regulatory agencies such as the FDA.
- It is prescribed by veterinarians: Cerenia is a prescription medication, which means that it can only be obtained through a veterinarian. Veterinarians are trained to diagnose and treat medical conditions in pets and can determine if Cerenia is the appropriate treatment for a particular pet.
- It has a proven track record: Cerenia has been used to treat nausea and vomiting in pets for many years and has a proven track record of safety and efficacy. Many veterinarians use Cerenia as a first-line treatment for vomiting in dogs and cats.
Cerenia has been extensively studied in clinical trials and has a proven track record of safety and efficacy. Pet owners can feel confident about using Cerenia to treat their pets, knowing that it is prescribed by a veterinarian and has a low incidence of side effects. If you suspect that your pet is experiencing nausea or vomiting, speak to your veterinarian about whether Cerenia may be an appropriate treatment option.