A beautiful coat of fur is not just something to take pride in. The health of your pet’s skin and coat can reflect their overall wellness too. Clear skin and a thick and shining coat reflect a healthy diet rich in necessary protein, fat and vitamins. Minimal shedding and a clean odor and appearance also indicate no bacteria or pests that can cause health problems.
Stay vigilant because skin disorders are the most common health problems that dogs and cats face. Luckily, most of them are preventable. PetCareRx is your headquarters for healthy skin & coat pet products. We have solutions for the hairiest of problems.
Flea, Tick and Heartworm Spot-On Treatments: Protecting Skin and Coat
The single most effective way to prevent skin irritation and infection in your dog or cat is to have a good routine of flea and tick medicine. As soon as the frost is over and temperatures rise, pests begin their cycle of plaguing pets. Fleas can cause itch and itch-related skin issues like mange and bacterial infections, while ticks, mites, mosquitoes and tapeworms also cause discomfort and internal health issues. A single topical medicine, applied once a month, can prevent a world of trouble. Here are some of our top sellers.
K9 Advantix II
- Kills and protects against 98% of fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies and chewing lice
- Easy to use, spot-on application begins working within 12 hours and is long lasting
- Kills all stages of fleas: egg, pupae, larvae, and adult
- The only medication that repels mosquitoes
Advantage II for Cats
- Kills flea eggs, larvae, and adult fleas within 12 hours, while also protecting against lice infestation
- Kills infesting fleas within 2 hours
- Contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) called pyriproxyfen, which prevents development of parasite, breaking the life cycle
- A Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved prescription parasiticide that kills fleas, flea eggs, ear mites, scabies, and ticks, and helps prevent heartworm disease in dogs and cats
- Helps control roundworms and hookworms in cats
- Once-a-month easy to apply spot-on treatment
View all of our spot-on flea and tick treatment options
Shampoos, Soaps and Moisturizers: A Clean, Moist Skin and Coat
The key to your pet's healthy skin and coat is keeping them clean without losing the natural oils that are essential to their healthy coat. Our selection of shampoos, soaps and oils are specially formulated to clean without drying out the skin and to add essential oils to the coat for even more protection. It isn’t recommended to bathe your cat or dog every day, but when you do make it count with these choice products.
PawGanics Foaming Shampoo
- An instant-foaming, quick-rinsing shampoo that foams on contact and require less water to rinse off, leaving no residue behind
- The oatmeal protein formula is made with natural plant-based ingredients that moisturize dry, itchy skin and leave your dog’s coat soft and smooth
- Vanilla-scented, non-toxic and hypoallergenic makes it a great choice for dogs with sensitive skin
Farnam Bio Guard Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Gentle, water-based shampoo that won't wash out any spot-on treatments
- Bio Guard rinses off easily, conditions your dog’s coat, and protects against fleas and ticks, without causing any irritation to skin
Mink Oil Spray
- Enriched with vitamin E to give fur luster and sheen from the first application
- Protects hair from sun damage, bleaching drying and breaking
- Non-sticky, Non-greasy, non-aerosol
Check out all of our shampoo and conditioner selections here.
Vitamins and Supplements: Nutrition for Healthier Skin and Coat
Vitamins and minerals are the building blocks of healthy skin and fur. Even with a healthy diet sometimes your pet may be falling behind on vitamin requirements due to lack of sun or other unavoidable living situations. A visit to the vet can uncover what your special friend is lacking or play it safe with one of our multi-vitamins fish oil supplements to ensure a full supply of healthy vitamins and minerals.
Linatone Plus Skin and Coat Revitalizer
- The easy-to-administer supplement that can help relieve your pet’s skin problems while giving them a lustrous, shiny coat.
- The tasty liquid formula contains linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid that reduces hair loss, heals flaky skin, and adds sheen and silkiness to your pet’s coat.
- Loaded with protein and zinc, Linatone Plus can help your pet to look and feel better.
American Kennel Club RenewTrients™ Skin & Coat
- Contains a special, veterinarian recommended, blend of natural oils, herbs, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins
- Can effectively reduce - and in many cases stop – non-seasonal shedding in dogs while providing a healthier and shinier coat.
Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement
- A trusted source of necessary Omega-3 fatty acids
- Reduces inflammation and skin irritation while providing healthy fats for a shining coat
- Aids in heart health
Brewer's Yeast with Garlic
- A tasty and all-natural additive to your pet's diet
- Contains essential vitamins and nutrients, including Zinc and Biotin, which can help prevent skin irritations and fur problems
- The original approach to pest protection and shedding prevention
Check out our full selection of vitamins and supplements
Food: The Building Blocks for Better Skin and Coat
When it comes to a beautiful and healthy coat, you are what you eat. Ensuring that your pet is getting enough high-quality protein will help them optimally regenerate their skin. The proper amount of healthy fats ensures moisture retention and soft skin and fur.
Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Canine Formula
- Wet food consisting of high-protein meat from bison, venison and lamb
- Grain free food gives your dog a more varied diet, helping to fill any nutritional gaps that may otherwise develop
- Contains Yucca Schidigera Extract, a natural plant extract that has been proven to reduce stool odor
Wellness Beef and Salmon Cat Food
- Surf and turf recipe provides two sources of protein
- Made with high quality beef that's free of added growth hormones or steroids
Newman's Own Premium Dry Dog Food
- Delicious, all-natural chicken and organic vegetables
- Part of a chemical free diet
- Packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients
For a customizable search of all of our food options check out our Dog Food Finder and choose the best food for your dog based on age, size and health restrictions.
Brushes, Grooming Tools and Anti-Shedding:
Pamper Your Pet's Skin and Coat
Brushing your dog or cat might not seem necessary, but how many activities are fun and relaxing for both you and your pet and result in a healthier looking coat and a fur-free home? If you want to pamper your pet or just help them keep their fur to themselves consider boning up on grooming and arm yourself with some of these products.
Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- This brush is not only easy to maintain, it also provides excellent grooming results with a comfort grip and stainless steel pins that remove dead hairs and mats with minimal effort
- With the push of a button the Slicker's stainless steel pins retract and release your pet's hair for easy clean up
Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Clipper
- This professional grade clipper makes over 4,000 strokes per minute
- Shatterproof housing, a heavy duty cord and a detachable blade make it sturdy and easy to clean
- Made in the USA
Shed Less and Feel Good Skin for Dogs
- Reduces non-seasonal shedding
- Helps restore a vibrant and healthy coat of fur
- Easily digestable and delicious chewable treat
Learn more about grooming techniques and find the right product for your cat or dog
Treat Dermatitis, Hot Spots and Other Bacterial Infections:
Getting Their Skin and Coat Healthy
Bacteria is ever present in our environment and although the majority of it is harmless there are thousands of strains that can be harmful to your pet’s skin if they have an open wound or weakened defense system. Irritated, itchy or flaking skin can signal dermatitis, the most common skin ailment. Hot spots are another common and uncomfortable ailment that can be treated with oral or topical solutions. Hot Spots usually occur in warmer months because wet and dirty dogs are more susceptible to bacterial infection. Keep bad bacteria at bay with our effective and safe solutions.
Pet Aid Medicated Anti-Itch Spray
- Provides immediate relief from pain and itching caused by flea bites and dermatitis
- Helps heal hot spots
- Does not sting
- Treat outbreaks of many forms of dermatitis, including eczema
- Works as an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory ointment for both dogs and cats.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care - Hot Spot Medicated Shampoo/Conditioner
- Offers relief from itching, inflamed, and overall irritated skin
- Stops your dog or cat from scratching and gnawing
- A prescription antibiotic for cats and dogs that treats a variety of infections caused by bacteria
- Used for skin and soft tissue infections, such as wounds, abscesses and deep tissue infections.
- A medicated shampoo with antiseptic properties that help treat skin conditions like bacterial infection, fungal growth and warts
- Promotes wound healing
- Antimicrobial properties that wipe out bacteria, fungi and yeast
Find out more about our Antibiotics, Anti-Fungals and Hot Spot treatments