I was reading about scorpion stings and it says in this book that if your pet has been stung, cold packs will help slow the progression of the poison... doesn't it need any treatment from a vet? I also was curious if the pet has been bitten by venomous snakes or spiders, would applying cold packs to the wound help to slow the progression of the poison until the pet is taken to a clinic?? Or does this only apply to scorpion stings?
Thank you for your time!
The reasoning behind the recommendation of a cold pack is that it causes vasoconstriction, therefore slowing down the absorption of venom into the blood stream. Yes, A pet should be seen immediateley by a vet if bitten by a venomous critter. vetcare