My dog...an 11 pound 3 year old in-good-health-Yorkie (neutered male)got an overdose of an antibiotic( ( given to help correct a adverse reaction to Rimadyl (25 mg)...well the cure turned out worse than the problem...the 'cure' was a prescription of 250 mgs of Metronidazole...3 times a day.. after 3 days, it sent him into neorlogical conculsing/shaking..unable to coordinate his legs and body...emergency vets now say he needs to 'recover'...that prescription was 'tooo high'...one suggested it should have been no more than 160mg per day of that antibiotic...what do you think?
any ideas/ suggestions?
The dose is 50 mg/kg, so the dose for your pet should of been around 250 mg daily. Usually, given time and the side effects from the overdose will go away. vetcare