I have a 2 year old male Havanese. About 3 weeks ago he started licking his paws until they were swollen and, eventually, bleeding. I understand this is a normal response to allergies. We've been through the prescriptions for steroids and antibiotics, and along with daily soaks in a oatmeal bath, his paws cleared up. However, I still catch him licking his paws. Not to the extent he did before, but I'd like to find the cause before we go through that again. The only food or environmental change that occurred just prior to the onset of his problem, was that I sprayed Febreeze on the carpet it my house. Have you heard of dogs having reactions to this before? I know there are tons of allergens that may be causing his problem (I've been on immunotherapy for 30 years myself) but I was hoping it would be something I could control.
Dogs can can a reaction ot anything in the environment. It would be difficult to pinpoint the allergens without allergy testing. Your vet can allergy test your pet. vetcare