My 4 month old kitten has recently been treated for a blood parasite called hemobardt (or something like that). According to my vet this parasite does not usually affect kittens. He is doing much better after 3 days of antibiotics. Where can I get more information about this pathgoen?
I got him 7 weeks ago after he had been attacked by a large animal.
He was very sick & the vet gave him Amoxicillian which helped immmensly. He's gotten a lot of TLC since then and was doing well until the parasite got him. We had a CBC test done when he was diagnosed with the parasite & his hemoglobin is down to 2.8g/dl (it sholud be 8.9-13.0).
He's now receiving high protein food prescribed by the vet and he's restricted to the indoors to save his energy. What else can I do to help his recovery? Thanks, PJR
Hemobartonellosis is also known as feline infectious anemia. The parasite attaches to the surface of red blood cells. The clinical signs are generally lethargy and anorexia. Primary therapeutics include rest, doxycyline and prednisone. The prognosis is generally good if the anemic crisis can be averted. It is important to monitor the pcv because anemia an be fatal. vetcare