At a Glance
Normalizes blood sugar levels in cats with type II diabetes
Highly effective when combined with low-carbohydrate diet
Easy administration via oral tablets
This product requires a prescription.
Glipizide 5 mg
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
- Wholesale prices on Flea & Tick, Heartworm, Supplements, & Rx Food
- Wholesale prices on all Prescription Medication
- Free shipping on all PetPlus items
- 20% off all other products on PetCareRx.com
- 24/7 Vet Helpline - Call, Email, Chat
- 100% Member Savings Guarantee
- Only $50/year (per pet, plus tax)That's UNDER $5 per month!
Learn More »
Glipizide 5 mg Description
Glipizide is used to treat type II diabetes in cats along with diet, exercise, and insulin therapy if necessary. Glipizide requires a prescription from your veterinarian. Glipizide is an oral blood-glucose-lowering drug in a class called sulfonylureas. It acts by causing the pancreas to release insulin, which helps to lower blood sugar.
Glipizide is the Generic Alternative to Glucotrol.
Side Effects and Warnings
Tell your veterinarian if your pet has kidney or liver disease, thyroid disease, a serious infection, illness or injury, or if your pet needs surgery. Also tell your veterinarian if your pet is pregnant or lactating. Side effects include vomiting, loss of appetite, and jaundice. Hypoglycemia may occur.
Glipizide may cause blood sugar levels to be too low. Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) may include headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, fast heart beat, sweating, tremor and nausea.
Treat hypoglycemia in cats by applying ¼ teaspoon of Karo Syrup to the cat’s gums. Routine blood tests, urinalysis, and kidney function tests may be needed.
5mg per tablet
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Follow dosage as prescribed by your veterinarian.
Cats (All weights): 2.5 mg to 5 mg per cat by mouth twice a day with food.
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Frontline Plus is waterproof
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
Rated 5 out of 5 by 2
Rated 5 out of 5 by Verified Reviewer Life saver
My cat was crashing. I took him to the vet who determined the he was diabetic. The vet gave him glipizide and he's been been on it ever since, 5 years now. He takes other meds, including homeopathic remedies, but the glipizide really made the difference.*This is a prescription item
May 15, 2005
Rated 5 out of 5 by Verified Reviewer Pyewacket
We have a newly diagnosed diabetic seal point siamese. Pye is a neutered male about 12 years old. He has been on the Glipizide for about 2 months. What alerted us to the problem was severe weight loss, increased water intake and urination. We would feed him canned food 2-3 times a day and still he lost weight. On a whim, I suggested to our vet that we do a blood glucose level. It was 581! (Normals should be between 90-120.) It took less than a month for us to see a drastic improvement in his weight, activity level and overall obnoxious siamese behavior! In other words, we had our boy back. We give the pill twice a day and highly suggest the use of a "pill gun". I hold Pye and my husband does the dirty deed. We use lots of praise and petting, which he loves. The pill is small enough to get down that small throat, but big enough for an adult to handle easily. Overall, I would give this one 5 stars!
March 28, 2005
Diabetes & Metabolic Care
Glipizide 5 mg
In stock! Order now!
Glipizide 5 mg
based on 2