Image Credit - Wikimedia.org/
Adopting a cat is one of the best ways to support the local pet shelter and a great way to bring some cuddly, furry love into your life. Here are a few reasons you should adopt a cat today:
- They are independent – Cats are independent creatures and require little to no supervision. This makes them the perfect choice for city dwellers, workaholics, people who live in apartments and people who are generally mellow. While you can walk your cat if you feel like it, it is not essential to their daily lifestyle.
- They are cuddly – Just because they are independent does not mean that they do not like a good cuddle. And unlike large breed dogs that don’t belong on your lap, cats fit in there quite snugly. Plus, they are fuzzy and warm, making them purr-fect material for snuggling.
- They groom themselves – Have you ever tried getting a cat into water? If you have, you know that you end up with your fair share of scratches. Cats bathe themselves and leave you with one less chore to attend to. It is win-win for both the parties.
- You don’t have to housebreak them – Apart from bathing themselves, most cats are instinctively potty trained. You just have to set up a litter box and your cat will learn how to make use of it without any instruction. If you adopt a cat, you can come home as late as you want and don’t have to take your cat outside to pee.
- They are avid hunters – If you are not a fan of mice, lizards or giant beetles, cats are the perfect pet for your household. They are skilled hunters and will help keep the reptile, mammal and bug population down in your home.
- They are great entertainers – Cats are capable of entertaining themselves with boxes, toys, drawers and pretty much anything they can get their paws on. Give your cat a window and he can spend hours watching what is going on in the street and plotting world dominance.
- Couch companion – Cats spend around 15 hours a day sleeping. This means they will never make you feel guilty about lazing around all day, spread-eagled on your sofa, eating ice cream.
- You are giving home to an abandoned animal – Over 8 million dogs and cats are carted off to animal shelters each year and around 4 million of them are euthanized. By choosing to adopt a cat, you are single handedly saving a life. That is quite a big deal.
- They are good for your health – Having a pet cat will significantly lower your blood pressure and the risk of heart disease. Just stroking a cat releases endorphins in your brain that make you feel good.