These Are The Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

These Are The Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Image source:

As a responsible dog parent, it is your duty to ensure your petโ€™s utmost health and well being. And a well balanced diet forms a major part of ensuring that your four legged friend stays strong and happy for years on end. In addition to providing your โ€˜doggoโ€™ with adequate portions of nutritious meals every day, you must also stay extra cautious of any food items that might prove to be toxic for their systems if ingested. Have a look at our list of all such foods that are downright dangerous for your pet.


With the exception of a few ignorant individuals, most pet owners are well aware of the toxicity of chocolate for a dogโ€™s system. Chocolate comprises two basic ingredients called caffeine and theobromine, both of which are extremely harmful for dogs. That being said, dark chocolate with higher cocoa content is even more dangerous than sweetened milk chocolate. Since the aforementioned ingredients of chocolate can even prove to be lethal in large concentrations, you must immediately take your dog to a vet in case he ingests some.

Garlic, Chives and Onions

Regardless of whatever form (cooked, raw or powdered) they are ingested in, garlic, chives and onions have been associated with blood cell damage in cats and dogs, and can end up terribly irritating and inflaming your furry little friendโ€™s GI tract.


A major sweetening agent in all kinds of baked goods, candies, gums and even toothpaste, xylitol has been known to cause excessive drop in the blood sugar levels when ingested by a dog. Larger concentrations can even end up causing liver failure! Some of the common tell tale signs that your dog might have ingested xylitol in some form include coordination issues, lethargy, vomiting and eventually seizures.


While alcohol is not good for us humans either, its negative impact is fairly amplified in case of dogs, so much so that even a little wine, beer, liquor or a food item with an alcoholic ingredient can cause considerable discomfort to the animal. Starting off as common symptoms such as lack of muscle coordination, vomiting, breathing problems and diarrhea, the effects of alcohol can even lead to coma and an eventual death of your canine friend.If you suspect that your dog might have accidentally or intentionally ingested any of the aforementioned food items, you must immediately take him to the vet for examination and ensure adequate treatment.

Was this article helpful?
comments powered by Disqus

You May Also Like