Image source: Pixabay.com
Much like humans, even dogs can be tired of eating the same old food every day. There are a variety of foods that are canine-friendly, and some are even healthy for them. But not all foods that humans consume are edible for dogs. There are foods that are harmful and some even toxic. It is important to know which foods fall under which category so you can spice up your dog’s life with new treats.Here is a list of surprising foods that are safe, and even beneficial for your dog:
- Fish: Fish like tuna and salmon are rich in protein, vitamins and omega3 fatty acids which are extremely nutritious for dogs. They not only give strength and energy, but give shinier and softer furs. Either cooked fish or a few drops of oil in their food should do. Who says fish is a great treat only for cats?
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt is rich in calcium and protein and is healthy as long as your dog can digest it. If there is no trouble digesting, plain yogurt is great for strengthening the digestive system. But make sure there are no artificial sweeteners or flavours in the yogurt.
- Zucchini: Zucchini is absolutely safe for canines, with no part of it being toxic for them. It is rich in potassium, folate and vitamin, and makes for a great and healthy snack for you and your dog.
- Apples: Apples are juicy and healthy treats for your dog. They are rich in pectin, which helps with digestion. Moreover, they help in cleaning teeth and maintaining a fresh breath. But make sure you throw away the seeds as they are toxic, and give in small amounts as these fruits are rich in sugar.
- Green beans: Low in calories, but rich in iron and vitamins, green beans provide your dog maximum nutrition. Fresh beans or canned beans are best, with no added salt. But if you want to be extra careful, you can go ahead and cook your beans before serving them.
- Eggs: Eggs are a rich source of protein, riboflavin and selenium, which are good for boosting your dog’s immune system. It is safe give them scrambled eggs with minimum flavouring. But be careful not to give raw or undercooked eggs as these can cause stomach infection.
- Pasta: Plain boiled pasta is safe and easily digestible by dogs, and they love the taste of it! Serve it with peas and carrots and your dog won’t be able to stay away from this dish. Make sure you do not add pasta sauce, and keep in mind that some dogs may be allergic to wheat.