Image source: Staticflickr.com/
The challenges that people with special needs face in their everyday lives are difficult for us to understand. What is easy for us like using stairs, wearing a shirt or even moving around becomes a challenge for people with special needs. There are separate arrangements for such people in public places and the place where they live. But what about animals? Is there any special arrangement for such pets? Maybe not so much as there are for people but owners who have pets with special needs can make arrangements inside the house to make their lives more comfortable. Here’s how:
- Build a special roomThe concept of dog rooms is not a new one and if are the owner of a dog that needs special care then you should definitely build one. Make it inside your house and ensure that its big enough for your dog or pet to sleep in it.
- Make things easily accessibleKeep things around your house at a convenient place so that your pet might be able to reach it without much effort. Things like toys and other random stuff in the house that your pet loves fetching for you can be kept at low heights.
- Make the house accessibleEven though your pet will feel the pains of disability, you should make him/her feel that the entire house is still accessible to her. Make staircases wheelchair accessible or make arrangements so that your pet won’t think twice before going from one part of the house to the other.
- Don’t change the position of furniturePets who have vision problems often rely on the other sense to locate the position of furniture in the house. When you start changing the position of furniture in the house or start getting new ones, it confuses them. They might get stressed because of this and psychological problems like social anxiety might occur.
- Reduce the amount of furniturePets with special needs will have trouble moving around the house if there are too many things in the way. Clear up the space and remove furniture and other items which you don’t require. Your pet will thank you for it.
Pets with special needs need special care too. As an owner, there’s not much you can do about the disability itself but you can help re-arranging things in the house. Make the space more accessible and remove furniture which you don’t need. By clearing up the space, you’ll be making enough room for your pet to move around without any hindrance. Also, build a separate space for your pet so that they won’t have to move about the house a lot.