All you need to know about Allergic Shocks in Canines

By April 23 | See Comments

Published by:

Image Source: Pixabay.com

Just like humans, dogs are prone to allergic reactions too. In some cases, certain allergic reactions can be very serious and life-threatening. It’s important that you learn to identify an allergic reaction and what caused it.

What is an allergic shock?

An allergic shock can be described as an uncommon, exaggerated, and serious reaction to a foreign substance or allergen. These cases range from mild to severe, with a wide range of reactions. A severe reaction can cause your pet’s major organs to fail. If your dog is experiencing an allergic shock, you will notice symptoms affecting his respiratory and gastrointestinal systems. This severe reaction is known as an anaphylactic or allergic shock.Your dog’s allergic reaction is triggered by a foreign substance or allergen. When this substance enters your pet’s body, his immune system goes into hyperdrive trying to eliminate it. The immune system produces histamines to combat the “intruder,” a fight that can cause extreme distress to your pet.Allergic shock requires immediate medical attention. If left untreated, it can be life-threatening. As long as your pet is treated in time, he will definitely recover.

What are the symptoms of allergic shock?

In case of an allergic shock, your pet’s liver is the first organ to be affected. This results in a gastrointestinal reaction. Here are other symptoms a dog can experience during an episode of allergic shock.

  • Redness
  • Itching
  • Sudden vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Low pulse
  • Increased drooling
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Noisy breathing
  • Coma

There are different categories to allergic reactions with allergic shock being the most serious type. This type of allergic reaction can affect your pet’s major organs immediately or can take a few hours. It is imperative that you take your pet to the veterinarian immediately if you notice any of these symptoms.

What causes allergic shock in dogs?

Like us, dogs can be allergic to a variety of things. The most common substances include food, insect bites, vaccinations, and medications. As with any allergic reaction, you will know if your pet is allergic to something only after he has either been exposed to it or ingested it.This exposure triggers his immune system, leading to the release of histamines. As these histamines travel through his body, the symptoms will start to occur.

How is allergic shock treated?

If you believe your pet is in allergic shock, take him to the vet immediately. The most common treatments for allergic shock is adrenaline via injections. Hydrocortisone and antihistamines can also administered. Based on the animal’s condition, the doctor may also suggest additional oxygen and intravenous fluids.If treated on time, your pet will recover from the allergic shock without long-term effects on his health. Speak to your vet and learn how you can protect your pet and prevent future allergic shock episodes.

SHOW COMMENTS
comments powered by Disqus

Was this article helpful?