Image credits - Lepale
The vast majority of pet owners feed their canines kibble because it is convenient. Although it has the necessary nutrients, you can boost the nutritional content to make the meal wholesome and healthy. Here are five ideas you can use to improve your dog’s kibble
- EggsEggs are one of the most nutritious ingredients you can add to your canine’s kibble. It contains fatty acids that are beneficial for your canine’s coat and skin. It is also a great source of selenium, phosphorous, vitamin B and protein. It also has amino acids that may not be present in kibble. Mix whole eggs in your canine’s kibble to increase the nutritional value of every meal. However, you should only feed eggs a few times a week to avoid biotin deficiency.
- Fruits and vegetablesAdding moderate amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables will be beneficial for your canine. They are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. To make fruits and vegetables easier to digest, you can either steam, puree or blend them. Leafy vegetables such as broccoli, parsley, spinach, and kale are beneficial to your canine. You can also add apples, bananas, berries, carrots, zucchini, and beans. However, avoid adding grapes or onions to your canine.
- Fish oil or oily fishOne of the best things you can add to your canine’s kibble is fish oil or oily fish. They contain omega-3 fatty acids which are extremely beneficial for the joints, skin, coat, and heart. You can give your canine fish that are low in mercury and high in omega-3 fatty acids such as anchovies, sardines, and mackerel. For fish oil, you can use herring, sardine or salmon oil. Don’t use cod liver oil as it can cause health issues in large amounts. Also, make sure the canine’s meal has vitamin E because omega-3 fatty acids increase the need for antioxidants.
- Prebiotic enzymesUnlike human beings, the length of the intestine is much shorter in canines, which can make digestion tricky. If your canine is having digestion issues or you want to prevent it, you can use prebiotic enzymes. It gives the flora in your canine’s gut an important boost, improving overall digestion. You can purchase plant-based prebiotics that is specifically for canines. You can add small amounts of prebiotic enzymes to your canine’s meal. Over time, you will observe a significant improvement in its digestive health.
- Raw meatThe best way to provide your canine with high-quality protein is to feed it fresh raw meat. During the production of kibble, the high heat in processing will damage the amino acids, which will prevent your canine from completely utilizing them. When you add raw meat to your canine’s kibble, it will get high-quality protein, which will improve its overall health. Also, make sure you add 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ.
By using these five simple ideas, you will improve your dog’s kibble significantly. If you have any queries, feel free to leave a comment below.