At a Glance
Treats certain neoplastic diseases & solid tumors
Can treat lymphoma & osteasarcoma
Can control unrestricted multiplication of cancerous cells
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
Methotrexate belongs to the anti-metabolite category of medications and is indicated for the treatment of certain neoplastic diseases like osteosarcoma and lymphoma apart from rheumatoid arthritis. On administration, Methotrexate gets involved with DNA synthesis and cellular replication thereby controlling unrestricted multiplication of cancerous cells.
Side Effects and Warnings
Gastrointestinal side effects are most prevalent such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
Despite the fact that it is well tolerated by animals, in some cases, side effects such as anorexia, gingivitis, leukopenia, vomiting, pharyngitis, pancreatitis, or abdominal distress do occur. Skin related side effects like erythematous rashes, pruritus, urticaria, and photosensitivity can also happen. Be watchful against the incidents of serious side effects like pericarditis, pericardial effusion or hypotension
Be cautious while administering Methotrexate in animals with confirmed hypersensitivity to the medicine, or in those with conditions like bone marrow suppression, hepatic or renal failures etc. Abstain from administering this medication in pregnant animals. Do not use Methotrexate along with NSAIDs and drugs containing compounds of salicylates, phenylbutazone etc, which could dislodge methotrexate from albumin binding sites, thereby increasing its toxicity. Discuss with the vet the medications the pet is taking as many a medicine such as folic acid or Penicillins could increase the toxicity of Methotrexate, apart from bringing out increased bone marrow suppression and other complications. Conduct regular blood tests to ensure a healthy blood count and if at any point of time, the white blood cell count falls below 4000/mm3 or platelets fall below 100,000/mm3, stop the treatment forthwith and bring the matter to the attention of the veterinarian
50mg - 2mL vial
Use As Directed By Veterinarian
Methotrexate injection can be administered intramuscularly or intravenously and is available in 50, 100, 200, and 250 mg single-dose vials. Very often it is used as part of multi drug therapy and the dosages might differ according to the complementary drugs. Never double the dose to compensate any missed doses. The normal dose for dogs is 2.5 mg/m2 PO daily; and 20 mg/m2 IV weekly
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
In stock! Order now!
based on 0
As a Complete Care Plan member, enjoy the following benefits:
- All of your pet prescriptions at wholesale pricing
- Save 25% every time you go to the vet (through PetAssure)
- Convenient pickup at over 60,000 local pharmacies, including CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart
- 20% off everything at PetCareRx.com
- $50 off your first dog sitter booking with Rover.com
- Guaranteed savings in your first year as a member
- And much more...
All this for only $9.99/month
Would you like to upgrade?
Add at Regular Price