At a Glance
Safe stool softener for both dogs and cats
Can be used to treat cats with megacolon
Can be used to treat portal-systemic encephalopathy
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
- Wholesale prices on Flea & Tick, Heartworm, Supplements, & Rx Food
- Wholesale prices on all Prescription Medication
- Free shipping on all PetPlus items
- 20% off all other products on PetCareRx.com
- 24/7 Vet Helpline - Call, Email, Chat
- 100% Member Savings Guarantee
- Only $50/year (per pet, plus tax)That's UNDER $5 per month!
Learn More »
Constipation is a painful problem for your pet. Talk to your vet about Lactulose, a prescription laxative used to treat constipation in dogs and cats. It works quickly to relieve the pain and frustration associated with constipation. Lactulose can also be used to treat and prevent a liver disease called portal-systemic encephalopathy.
Laactulose Solution is the Generic Alternative to Generlac.
Side Effects and Warnings
Side effects of Lactulose include flatulence, bloated stomach, and cramping.
Lactulose may alter the insulin requirement in diabetic animals.
Use Lactulose with caution in animals with fluid or electrolyte imbalance.
Contact your veterinarian if your pet is producing less than 2-3 soft stools per day or if the condition worsens.
Diarrhea and dehydration are symptoms of overdose.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include: facial swelling, vomiting, diarrhea, cold limbs, shock, seizures, pale gums, hives, scratching, or coma.
Contact your veterinarian if your pet is exhibiting any of these symptoms.
Tell your veterinarian if your pet is taking any other medications or supplements. Do not use this product with other laxatives. Oral antacids may reduce the effectiveness of Lactulose.
Ask your veterinarian or consult with one of our pet care specialists at 1-800-844-1427.
This information is for informational purposes only and is not meant as a substitute for the professional advice of, or diagnosis or treatment by, your veterinarian. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard or delay seeking professional advice due to what you may have read on our website. Our medications are FDA approved and/or EPA regulated when and as required by law.
16 fl. oz. - Unflavored
16 fl. oz. - Orange Flavor
Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
Lactulose comes in liquid form and is administered orally.
Be sure to follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian.
Many cats do not like the taste of Lactulose, and you should contact your veterinarian if you have difficulty administering the medication.
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Frontline Plus is waterproof
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
Rated 5 out of 5 by 5
Rated 5 out of 5 by Britt Good Product
It's convenient and cost-saving to be able to purchase this larger bottle of Lactulose instead of running to the vet for the small bottles. I always receive the Lactulose in a timely fashion and consider it a good value. It does help my elderly cat Puffy as a stool softener, along with Cisapride, for her megacolon.
August 27, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by catlady27 Very effective product that is also easy to dispense.
After my cat was diagnosed with megacolon the vet prescribed Lactulose.
November 26, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 The worst product in the world
My cat with megacolon was put on this product. It never worked and his megacolon got much worse. I found the megacolon users group on yahoo and they all recommended the use of Miralax instead. WOW, that worked.
August 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 Lactulose is great!
My female dog was born with an unnatural dip in her colon and sometimes waste gets balled up and she would have to stretch herself out to loosen it or she gets constipated. Since using Lactulose, she has been able to "go" much easier without all the stretching.
September 26, 2007
Rated 5 out of 5 Works as expected and the price is UNBELIEVABLY low!
This was prescribed by my local vet for my 14-ish year old cat Samael, who has bowel problems due mainly to old age. He couldn't "go" and was so backed up that he almost didn't make it. Now using this product as prescrbed (2.5 cc's in the mouth EVERY 8 hours for the rest of his life... d'oh!) has made him quite regular again.
PetCareRx has a GREAT price on this product! My local vet & the pharmacy they use charged me $40 for a 4oz bottle, while here at PetCareRX I can get a 16oz bottle for only about $16 and a couple bucks to cover shipping! $10 an oz VS about $1 per oz, WHAT A GREAT BARGAIN! Thanks PetCareRx, without you I don't know if poor kitty would be able to stay medicated and 'regular'! You have literally saved his life (and my wallet!) *This is a prescription item
February 6, 2005
Lactulose is the top pet laxative for your dogs and cats. Lactulose, a synthetic disaccharide in liquid form, is a colonic acidifier used to treat and prevent portal-systemic encephalopathy. It is also easily administered. Comes in orange flavor or unflavored.
In stock! Order now!
based on 5
As a Complete Care Plan member, enjoy the following benefits:
- All of your pet prescriptions at wholesale pricing
- Save 25% every time you go to the vet (through PetAssure)
- Convenient pickup at over 60,000 local pharmacies, including CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart
- 20% off everything at PetCareRx.com
- $50 off your first dog sitter booking with Rover.com
- Guaranteed savings in your first year as a member
- And much more...
All this for only $9.99/month
Would you like to upgrade?
Add at Regular Price