Pets can be great sources of unconditional love and companionship. However when it comes to cats, some breeds are known for their aloof or independent dispositions. These cats can make excellent low-maintenance pets for people with busy lives, but for the owner who wants a loyal friend who will seek out affection and interaction, you’ll want a benevolent breed that enjoys the company of people.
- While the Abyssinian (pictured above) is not necessarily a lap cat, this breed is extremely intelligent and loyal, and becomes deeply involved in family life.
- One of the most interactive and people-oriented breeds, the American Bobtail with its wildcat-like appearance forms close bonds with humans and even enjoys walking on a leash.
- These attentive and curious cats with their distinctive curled ears are often described as “dog-like” for their habit of following their owners around and their playful personalities that last into adulthood.
- The American Shorthair is an ideal family breed known for its longevity, good health, and kind temperament.
- The gentle blue-eyed Birman is an ideal companion breed that thrives on attention and is easy to hold.
- The panther-like Bombay is an inquisitive, affectionate, and outgoing breed that enjoys many of the same activities as dogs, including leashed walks and games of fetch
- This confident breed is the ultimate human companion, regularly following their owners around and seeking out cuddling sessions.
- The Colorpoint Shorthair, with a body and head type identical to the Siamese, is a talkative breed that absolutely demands the attention of its owners.
- This playful large-eared breed prefers to be around its owner at all times, whether perched on a shoulder while you read or at your feet while you watch TV.
- This affectionate, medium-sized cat loves to snuggle and participate in everything you do.
- Known for their adorable round faces, Exotic cats are sweet, loyal companions who enjoy attention but do not demand it.
- The Japanese Bobtail is a playful and extremely friendly breed that wants to be the center of family life.
- The silver-tipped blue Korat is a serious cuddler who becomes deeply attached to human companions.
- This affectionate and active breed seeks human contact and is happy to play the role of lap cat.
- Known as the “Gentle Giant,” this large longhair breed is widely sought after for its friendly and loving personality.
- These unique tailless cats are often described as “dog-like” for their loyalty and love of active play.
- An intelligent and curious breed, the Oriental craves attention and interaction and is not happy when ignored.
- The Ragamuffin is a sweet and cuddly breed that is often sought after as a companion pet.
- This large, gentle breed is known for its affectionate nature and distinct interest in humans.
- One of the most recognizable cat breeds, the Siamese is a classic “people” cat who seeks interaction and communicates through a unique voice.
- The friendly and outgoing Siberian is an adaptable breed that will play
when you want to play and sit calmly when you want quiet companionship.
- The Somali is a perfect companion breed that offers everything a pet owner could want -- playfulness, attentiveness, and at the end of the day, affection.
- The confident and loving Tonkinese is a popular companion breed for its desire to be engaged in every activity -- these cats don’t like to be ignored or left alone.
- The exceptionally soft Turkish Angora is considered one of the most affectionate and extroverted of all the cat breeds.