What to wear? This is a question that plagues many people every day. But what about man's best friend? The question of what to wear can be just as difficult for our four-legged family members. It's just as important for our dogs to be dressed appropriately, and to have the right accessories, for different seasons and occasions as it is for us. Let's take a look at the top ten items every dog would drool over!
1. and 2. On the practical side, every dog needs a collar and ID tag. Sometimes our furry friends get an inclination to wander, but ultimately home is where their heart is. A collar tells others that, though the dog may be taking itself for a solo walk, it's not a stray. Usually, in the unfortunate event that your dog does wander off, a Good Samaritan will check for an ID tag so that they can help the dog return home safely. That's why every dog wants his or her wardrobe to include an ID tag that lists - at a minimum - the dog's name and the owner's telephone number. These tags are inexpensive and many retail stores have machines that will engrave them for you in mere seconds.
3. Warm up in a winter coat! To some people, this may seem frivolous, but it can actually be absolutely necessary. In cold environments, dogs can get chilled just as much as their human counterparts, and if we wouldn't set foot outside without a warm coat, why would we expect them to do so? Short-haired dogs are especially susceptible to cold, as well as older dogs that are prone to arthritis. Providing them with that extra layer of warmth saves their joints from getting stiff and sore.
4. Stay safe with a reflective leash. Many people enjoy taking their pets for an evening stroll. Luckily, there are leashes made from reflective material that glows in the dark. It's just one more way to keep our beloved dogs safe.
5. Get festive with bandanas! We like to dress for the holidays and so do our dogs! Ok, maybe they don't know that it's the 4th of July and that they're sporting patriotic colors, but other people do notice, and this grants your pets extra attention, which they are sure to enjoy. A simple cotton bandana is inexpensive and washable. They come in all sorts of colors and patterns, so you can find one for any occasion.
6. Get cozy with a cute sweater. Larger dogs are a bit harder to shop for because most retail stores only carry clothes for medium-to-small dogs. But if you happen to have a smaller dog, why not keep them snug and cozy on a cold winter night with a cute little sweater?
7. Make your dog a die-hard fan with sports gear! You love to show off the jersey or t-shirt of your favorite team, and so will your dog! Show love for your alma-mater's winning football team, or the baseball team from your hometown with a scarf, t-shirt, or jersey that your dog can wear to be a part of the fun.
8. Add comfort and keep messes at bay with a big blanket. Having a blanket that's specifically for your dog keeps him comfortable by having something around (even in unfamiliar places) that has his own scent on it. He can curl up and take a nap, you can spread it across your car seat to protect it from fur and dirt, and soon it will be your dog's most beloved accessory.
9. Your dog will look bad to the bone in a pair of doggles - sunglasses made for dogs. They fit comfortably, and look super cool. We keep our eyes protected from the blazing sun, so why not protect your pup's eyes as well?
10. These boots are made for walking, and your dog will love to walk in them. Boots for dogs come in all colors, sizes and materials. Get a fleece-lined set for super cold weather, or a more multi-purpose type to protect your pup's feet from hot and rough surfaces as well.
The question of what to wear can be a difficult one, but with this list in hand you and your best friend will always be well prepared and well equipped for a fun-filled day no matter what the occasion. And your dog is sure to stay stylish!