At a Glance
Used in the treatment of certain heart diseases
Can help to lower blood pressure
Slows and regulates heart rate so that the heart can work more efficiently
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
- Wholesale prices on Flea & Tick, Heartworm, Supplements, & Rx Food
- Wholesale prices on all Prescription Medication
- Free shipping on all PetPlus items
- 20% off all other products on PetCareRx.com
- 24/7 Vet Helpline - Call, Email, Chat
- 100% Member Savings Guarantee
- Only $50/year (per pet, plus tax)That's UNDER $5 per month!
Learn More »
Atenolol is a prescription medication used to treat certain heart conditions such as arrhythmias. This beta-blocker can also be used to lower blood pressure and treat enlarged hearts in cats. Atenolol functions by slowing and regulating your pet’s heart rate to make the heart work more efficiently. It is appropriate for use in dogs, cats, and ferrets.
Atenolol is a beta-blocker that lowers heart rate, blood pressure, and over-activity of the heart, thus allowing for a regular heartbeat and better heart function.
Atenolol is the generic alternative to Tenormin.
Side Effects and Warnings
Side effects may include lethargy, difficulty exercising, low blood pressure which would cause fainting, weakness, or dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, behavior change, and low blood sugar.
Atenolol may constrict the bronchi, resulting in coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.
An improper dose of Atenolol can cause the heart rate to be too slow.
If your pet experiences an allergic reaction (symptoms may include swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, itching, etc.) or any of the above symptoms, contact your veterinarian.
Atenolol should not be used in pets with heart block, bradycardia (slow heart rate), and some types of heart failure. Use with caution in diabetic pets or those with kidney disease.
Use with caution in animals with some types of lung disease such as asthma.
Atenolol should not be used in pets allergic to it, or pets who have had reactions to other beta-blockers.
Possible interactions may occur with the following drugs: albuterol (Ventolin), anesthetic agents, cimetidine, epinephrine, furosemide, hydralazine, insulin, metaproterenol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (ex. aspirin, carprofen), other heart medications (digoxin, diltiazem, verapamil), phenothiazines (tranquilizers), phenylpropanolamine, prazosin, and terbutaline.
Tell your veterinarian about any other medications, vitamins, or supplements that your pet is taking.
25mg per tablet
Follow the directions provided by your veterinarian.
This medication is usually given once or twice daily to dogs and once daily to cats.
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Frontline Plus is waterproof
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
Heart & Blood Pressure
In stock! Order now!
based on 0
As a Complete Care Plan member, enjoy the following benefits:
- All of your pet prescriptions at wholesale pricing
- Save 25% every time you go to the vet (through PetAssure)
- Convenient pickup at over 60,000 local pharmacies, including CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart
- 20% off everything at PetCareRx.com
- $50 off your first dog sitter booking with Rover.com
- Guaranteed savings in your first year as a member
- And much more...
All this for only $9.99/month
Would you like to upgrade?
Add at Regular Price