Vectra 3D is a broad spectrum flea, tick, and pest medication for dogs. Broad spectrum means it impacts not just one pest, but several. It kills and prevents fleas, ticks, heartworm-causing mosquitoes, biting flies, and sand flies; as well as lice and mites, but not sarcoptic mites, which are the type that cause mange. It’s a topical spot on, applied once monthly to your dog’s back, in a straight line from the base of the tail to the bottom of their neck. It’s available by prescription only.
WHAT ARE SOME POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF VECTRA 3D?
The two most serious and most common side effects from the use of Vectra 3D are:
- extreme restlessness and jitteriness, described as anxiety or manic behavior
- chemical burns of the skin at the site of application
Other side effects include:
- panting, racing heart
- dog’s body hot to the touch
- loose stool or vomiting
- apparent dehydration (excessive water drinking)
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY DOG EXHIBITS THESE SIDE EFFECTS?
If your dog has a reaction to this drug -- not all dogs will -- don’t use it on your pet again.
WHY DO SOME DOGS HAVE REACTIONS TO VECTRA 3D, BUT NOT TO OTHER SIMILAR DRUGS?
In certain geographical areas, ticks and fleas are developing immunity and resistance to the first generations of pet-protecting medications. Companies like Advantage and Frontline have developed next-gen formulations, in an effort to keep these parasites at bay. Advantage II and Frontline Plus, for example, are stronger and more toxic to pests than their predecessors.
Vectra 3D is a newer drug, and has one of the strongest chemical formulations on the market. This super strong formulation could be having a negative effect, in part, because dogs have not been exposed to a drug of this intensity -- and some may argue, shouldn’t be.
Additional possibilities include...
- Vectra 3D includes three active ingredients in its formulation, while most similar drugs include just one or two.
- The ointment is Permethrin based, and also includes Dinotefuran and Pyriproxifen. Dinotefuran is typically used in conjunction with Permethrin or Pyriproxifen, but Vectra employes all three at once.
- Because Vectra is meant to be applied from the tail to the neck, there’s more liquid in the tube than similar drugs. The volume of liquid, paired with the quantity of drugs, could be overwhelming to some dogs.
WHAT’S GREAT ABOUT VECTRA 3D?
Many similar, topical, monthly spot on treatments will kill pests when they bite your pet. Vectra, however, acts as a repellant. It works to stop pests before they’ve taken up residence in your dog’s fur. Vectra also claims to be stronger for a longer period of time than its competitors.
HOW DO I KNOW IF IT’S SAFE TO USE ON MY PET?
Talk to your vet and keep a close eye on your pet after administering the medication. If they exhibit restlessness or skin irritation, try to get them into the bath before the 3 hour mark, and wash as much of the medication off as possible with dish soap.
Your pet may exhibit no reaction at all. Some dogs are able to tolerate the drug without a problem, and enjoy being pest-free thanks to this powerful medication.
More on Flea & Tick Medication
Spot On Flea Control
All Your Advantix II Questions Answered
How Do Flea and Tick Treatments Work?
This information is for informational purposes only and is not meant as a substitute for the professional advice of, or diagnosis or treatment by, your veterinarian with respect to your pet. It has, however, been verified by a licensed veterinarian for accuracy.