At a Glance
Helps modify behavioral problems
Adjusts and balance brain chemical levels
Antidepressant that eases anxiety
Our regular price:
This item is on sale!
- Wholesale prices on Flea & Tick, Heartworm, Supplements, & Rx Food
- Wholesale prices on all Prescription Medication
- Free shipping on all PetPlus items
- 20% off all other products on PetCareRx.com
- 24/7 Vet Helpline - Call, Email, Chat
- 100% Member Savings Guarantee
- Only $50/year (per pet, plus tax)That's UNDER $5 per month!
Learn More »
An anxious or stressed out dog or cat is cause for distress for any pet owner. Anxiety may come from depression or separation anxiety, or may also be due to the occurrence of unexpected, loud noises. Regardless of the cause, such disturbances can result in behavioral problems such as inappropriate urination, spraying, obsessive grooming, excessive scratching and other self-destructive actions. Worse, pets may become aggressive towards their owners, or they might hurt themselves in their fit of aggression.
Amitriptyline is a prescription antidepressant that helps modify such behavioral problems and also lessens anxiety. The medication alters the brain's chemicals, adjusting the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine to a fine balance.
Amitriptyline for pets is essentially the same medication that is prescribed for humans, albeit in smaller dosages. As with any prescription medication, it's best to consult with your veterinarian to formulate a plan of treatment specifically suited for your pet.
Amitriptyline is the generic alternative to Elavil
Active Ingredient - Amitriptyline HCL
Other Ingredients: Colloidal silicone dioxide, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, lactose (monohydrate), magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized starch (corn), titanium dioxide. 10 mg dose also includes: D & C Red # 27 Aluminum Lake, D & C Yellow #10 Aluminum Lake, and FD & C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake. 25 mg dose also includes: D & C Yellow Aluminum Lake. 50 mg dose also includes: FD & C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, and FD & C Red #40 Aluminum Lake. 75 mg dose also includes: D & C Red #7 Calcium Lake, and FD & C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake.
Ingredients vary slightly between dosages
Medication GuideAbout Amitriptyline Behavior Medication for Pets
Side Effects and Warnings
Side effects do not generally occur, but may include weight gain (in cats), drowsiness, dry mouth (and other symptoms resulting from the drug's function as an antihistamine), loss of appetite, increased heart rate, urine retention, vomiting, and diarrhea. There may be an increase in excitability.
Overdosing can have severe consequences for the heart, and should be treated immediately.
10mg per tablet
50mg per tablet
100mg per tablet
75mg per tablet
25mg per tablet
Amitriptyline can be administered either orally or by injection. Dosage is as prescribed by your veterinarian (generally, an oral dose is between 0.5 and 2 mg per pound once or twice a day for dogs, and between 2 and 10 mg per cat once daily for cats).
Other Customers Also Bought for their Pet
- Kills any disease carrying tick within one day of application
- Prevents every stage of flea life (eggs, larvae, and pupae) from developing into adults
- Frontline Plus is waterproof
- Lasts for 30 days
- Kills heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and other parasites
- Convenient chewable made with real beef that your dog will love
- Safe and effective; EPA and FDA approved
- Kills all stages of flea life (including eggs, larvae, and adult) within 12 hours
- Kills fleas on contact, so they die before they bite your dog
- Kills and protects against lice
- Waterproof protection for a full 30 days
Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 2
Rated 5 out of 5 Bladder infections
I give this medication to my 7 year old female corgi. She has had problems with bladder infections for a long time and the vet prescribed this medicine many years ago and she has not had an infection since being on it. We love it!
July 12, 2008
Rated 4 out of 5 Useful for fearful Chinese Crested
It took 3 weeks to kick in but has really helped my Megs from her fear of storms and sudden noise.
August 24, 2007
Behavior & Anxiety Management
Amitriptyline is a prescription antidepressant that helps modify behavioral problems in dogs and cats such as separation anxiety, inappropriate urination, and obsessive-compulsive grooming and scratching. Amitriptyline also works to lessen nervous anxiety.
In stock! Order now!
based on 2
As a Complete Care Plan member, enjoy the following benefits:
- All of your pet prescriptions at wholesale pricing
- Save 25% every time you go to the vet (through PetAssure)
- Convenient pickup at over 60,000 local pharmacies, including CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart
- 20% off everything at PetCareRx.com
- $50 off your first dog sitter booking with Rover.com
- Guaranteed savings in your first year as a member
- And much more...
All this for only $9.99/month
Would you like to upgrade?
Add at Regular Price